SUGGESTION: DOUBLE SPACING

Hello friends,

Scrivener has the ability to reduce multi-spacing to single spacing with one keyboard shortcut stroke (in my case: ctrl+alt+cmd+Space Bar). This is such a timesaving tool.

Would it be possible to make this option more flexible? For instance,

a) change the function to 1 space, or 2 or 3?
b) create a keyboard shortcut for each?

I’m a screenwriter. When outlining, I use single space after a full stop (period). But when I’m writing screenplays, I use double spaces after a full stop. Having the flexibility — through keyboard shortcut — to switch from one to the other would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you very much. And Scrivener is the best.

: )

Hyan

You can create and save custom paragraph pre-sets – with a linespacing of your choice. Then you can use Apple’s kbd sys prefs to assign keyboard shortcuts to them. Would this serve your purpose?

Hello friend!

Thank you very much for getting back to me. It’s possible I wasn’t clear, or didn’t use the right terminology.

What I really meant to say was Scrivener gives the option of changing multiple spaces to single spaces in a document. As you probably rightly know, this is found under FORMAT/CONVERT/CHANGE MULTIPLE SPACES TO SPACE, which is a brilliant option.

I would love for Scrivener to have an addition, the ability to either have one space after a full stop (period) or two (or three or four: up to the user). And both options customisable and with a keyboard shortcut.

For instance, my Scrivener keyboard shortcut for CHANGE MULTIPLE SPACES TO SPACE is set up as ctrl+alt+cmd+space bar; this reduces everything to single space or MULTIPLE SPACES TO SPACE.

I’d love an option where with a keyboard shortcut every single space after a full stop (period) would snap to a double space, but only after a full stop or exclamation mark or question mark.

I use single spaces when outlining; but use double spaces when scripting.

This option would be amazingly helpful.

I hope some of this makes sense.

Then again, thank you so much for writing in with your solution, which was bang on.

: )

Sorry Thibster, but using double spaces after period? Who does that anymore? It’s soo 20th century.

johnaugust.com/2014/scriptnotes- … transcript

Thanks, Thibster, I see I did not read carefully enough your original post.

I, too, am a bit curious about why you double-space in scripts. I know in publishing, double-spacing is anathema – the first thing that gets removed from manuscript text. And that is certainly one of the things I do when I prep contributed text for the web or other purposes.

But I don’t know much about professional script standards. Is double-spacing a thing there? Or perhaps it is a more personal choice, motivated by …?

–gr

The compile “Replacements” tab could do that at compile time (replace a period plus space with period plus 2 spaces), or you could to a project replace to accomplish this in the main text of the project. The later is more problematic, since you might end up with multiples of 2 spaces if you ran the project and replace more than once.

Since you’re using the Mac version, there is a solution to the final problem: search and replace using “Regular Expressions”, which is an option in both the Replacements tab of compile, and in the Project (and other types of) Replace function.

You check the “regex” check box, and then fill this in to search for:
([.?!]) +

Looks like gobledy-gook? Let me break that down for you…

The [.?!] part means "match any of the individual characters . or ? or ! (the brackets indicate that these characters are the ones to search for, and match one of them).

The parentheses are telling the software to hold on to the specific punctuation character found, for later.

After the closing parenthesis is 1 space followed by +

This means match 1 space, followed by one or more additional, consecutive spaces.

Put all together, it tells the program to search for the listed punctuation, followed by one or more spaces.

Then in the “With” field of the replace window, enter this (a dollar sign, a one, and 2 spaces):
$1

This means put the found punctuation back into the area where you found it, but replace however many spaces that followed it with 2 spaces–no more, no fewer.

To sum up…
Search for (include 1 space between closing parenthesis and the plus sign)…
([.?!]) +
Replace with (include 2 spaces after the 1)…
$1