Suggestion for an "editing mode" that doesn't drop your session target when deleting text

At times I find it very frustrating that the session target is always net. Let’s say I write 1,000 words in the morning, but in the afternoon, I want to revise something I wrote the day before. If I delete anything, it drops my word count for today — even though I’ve written 1,000 words. Editing out 200 words doesn’t mean I only wrote 800 words today! I want that entire word count to show up in Writing History. I wish I could just tell Scrivener not to decrease my word count for a specific session.

1 Like

Hi.
One argument against (not from me, I don’t actually mind the request at all) would or could be, what if you cut/paste text from one doc to another ?

Well, my suggestion is for a toggleable option. Plus, clicking and dragging text is an already existing function that allows movement of text between docs without impacting the word count/session target.

I suspect it “does”.
Only it is instantaneously back to the same count.

:wink: it is not a bad request.

Meanwhile, what you could do is create a dump document, and whatever you’d otherwise delete cut instead, and paste it to that doc.
Making that dump doc a project bookmark, you could have it to the right, ready for your trash.
Set it to be included in compile, and voilà, word count fixed.

This wish has been wished before and you may find illuminating discussion by searching the forums for it.

I think your wish is probably partly rooted in a misperception of how the existing function works. The current function works just by using readily available existing state data (word count of docs). What you are dreaming of is a function that would have to actually track your activities. This would be ferociously more complicated and trouble-prone (and have to confront many edge cases, as VV points out). In short, what you wish for might seem like an easy get, but it really would require something entirely new and difficult, programming-wise.

2 Likes

I have looked at previous discussions but couldn’t find anyone making my actual suggestion (which is not to completely overhaul the way the session target is tracked, but an ability to switch modes), nor providing a satisfactory alternative.

I understand the existing function. Scrivener doesn’t need to literally track activity to do what I suggest. The same thing could be accomplished by recording the data in a more granular way, perhaps, and then an option which tells Scrivener not to override the current word count when set in that mode.

1 Like

I appreciate your suggestion! I don’t think it would suit my workflow, but I will try it and find out.

1 Like

Imo: It would only be a matter of time before you grow tired of it and decide, heck, screw the word count.

If I may pepper in some of my own experience:
Giving the word count this much importance is not a good thing. I used to, not anymore.
And ever since I stopped caring everything is better.
Do you really need a number to tell you whether or not you’ve done your best for one day ? — I don’t. I know it. I just know it.
And sometimes “my best” is deleting words. Not necessarily adding words.
I do what has to be done, and I am happy once I get that feeling that indeed that’s what I’ve done.

The only word count I somewhat keep an eye on is the overall size of the book .

4 Likes

Note that the session reset time is configurable. If you close Scrivener between your morning writing session and your afternoon editing session, it can be told to treat those as two separate sessions.

There’s a philosophical question here, though. Editing out 200 words does make your manuscript 200 words shorter. While creating a thousand new words per day might be a useful productivity metric for you, no one else cares about anything but the words that appear in the finished manuscript.

3 Likes

Giving the word count this much importance is not a good thing. I used to, not anymore.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The number isn’t what’s important to me.
I do not keep a strict goal at all. What I need is to accurately keep track of how much I’ve written. I have ADHD, and I will literally forget how much work I’ve done at the end of the day if I don’t keep track, making me feel like I haven’t done anything even if I have! This is the main source of my frustration. I can’t rely on the tool the app has built for this purpose.

1 Like

I know there exist apps for mac that track your keyboard. Independently of where you type.

That should then do it for you. (?)

It’ll tell you how many words you’ve typed during your session. Unable to track the ones you delete.

?? :

1 Like