Suggestion: Titles in scrivenings mode to reflect "level"?

Phew, that was a hard one to describe in a short subject line. But here goes: :slight_smile:

I am writing a novel. It is organized in chapters, for which I use folders, and “scenes”, which are the documents I write the actual text into. I take it that’s pretty much the recommended way, right?
Before actually writing, I try to outline an entire chunk of the book, naming folders and documents to its respective plot points (or collection thereof, in the case of folders/chapters).
Then, I go into Scrivenings mode, “locked in place” so that the entire book is visible in the editor.

Here’s where I’d love it if you considered my suggestion: See, scrolling up and down to write and edit and add more to the actual text, I sometimes find myself writing into folders instead of into the documents — simply because the titles of folders and documents look exactly the same.

If we could have two different settings (typeface and color) for scrivening titles, so there could be one setting for folders and another setting for documents, that would make working in scrivenings mode so much easier.

Hope you’ll consider,

/LA.

I’d say it is more a common way of working, rather than a recommended way. It’s a happy medium between the word processor inertia of “chapter files” and all out Scrivener geek with a 1,000 node outline and 8 levels of depth, and so makes a nice demonstration in the templates. It’s easy to learn, but you are by no means constrained to working that way.

As for your suggestion, this is something we have on the list for consideration. It might be something as simple as hierarchical numbering, so you could look and see “1 Star Trek”, and then “1.1 Into Darkness”, and know that the latter is within the former (though you might object that it should be “into Darkness” instead). It might be some rudimentary styling (though we’d like to avoid that because it would lead to people wishing compile settings were expressed as Scrivenings titles, and that is a can of worms). Or it might never materialise, but at least know it’s on the list.

I actually didn’t know this one was on the list. :slight_smile:

…or maybe it has already been removed from the list and I am unaware of its demise. :slight_smile:

Alas, poor hierarchical titles. I knew them, Ioa.

True: I understand the problem with multilevel outlines. If the levels go ten layers deep, how many settings are we to define? And unless Scrivener has a built-in limit for nested levels, who is to say that ten levels is enough?

It seems we all sort of agree this would be a helpful feature, though, so perhaps I should rephrase my original suggestion. I think what one could “easily” accomplish (I’m not a programmer so I don’t know code-wise, but I think the worm-to-can-ratio is much lower) is to do either, or both, of the following:

A. Have different styles (customizable would be nice) for titles of Folders and Documents rather than just one-style-for-all as of now. That would be a good start, hopefully not too hard to do, and very helpful for not writing things where things shouldn’t be written. (The expanded version of this would be a third style for titles of document with sub-documents — with those three styles defined differently one would be able to work in multi-document scrivenings mode but always know what kind of documents you scroll by.)

B. Use indents for levels (with the option to toggle this off for people who don’t want it). This could be either by having the title start at an increasing distance from the edge of the paper, depending of level depth (perhaps ugly, especially ten layers down) or by letting a number of “vertical lines” precede the title, much like quotation levels in the OSX mail app.
This is sort of like the 1.1.1 numbering scenario described above, but without the hassle of having numbers that would have to change dynamically in the document if I added a new document between two existing ones etc.

C. Optional, but nonetheless wonderful, would be if the title background could reflect the label color of the corresponding document/folder, the way it is shown in the binder and/or outline.
While possibly hard to code since I don’t know if colors can change “dynamically” in the document window, the user logic would be straightforward enough with an added entry in the “View > Use Label Color In” menu, with “Scrivening Titles” as an added option next to Binder and Outline etc.
In fact, taking the C route might mean A and B would be less important, since I could have my own label color for folders, documents and whatnot.

Anyways. Just a couple of suggestions that would make it one notch easier to work in scrivenings mode.

As always, thanks for listening, 8)

/LA.