Suggestions to improve external sync / compile

These are three somewhat related suggestions, so I thought I’d write them in just one post, to keep it together.

(1)
When syncing to an external folder, I can “Prefix file names with numbers” – It would be awesome if there was a way to set them up to respect the hierarchy of documents. So they don’t just get numbered 1 Some title, 2 Some subheading 3 Some subheading,… etc. but rather 1 Some title, 1.1 Some subheading, 1.2 Some subheading, 2 Some title, 2.1. Some subheading, 2.1.1 some subsubheading … etc.

(2)
I wish there was a way to manipulate the output to the external sync folder in the same or in a similar way to how one can manipulate it on Compile (via MMD or via Regexes in the Replacement tab).

(3)
Alternatively, which would also accomplish the same thing, maybe it’s possible to add an option to Compile that would make it possible to compile to separate files, on a Chapter or Section basis.

Much appreciated!

On 3, it is already possible. In the ‘Contents’ pane, click the dropdown immediately above the file list and turn on “Include Subdocuments”. Now your Compile will only be whatever you have selected in the Binder.

For the others, I have no experience and can’t comment.

Mark

If I may, I will add my wish to the OP’s number 1.

I usually write plain text files (.md) on cloud storage so that I can access them from anywhere : web browser, tablet (I have an Android tablet). I like to write on minimalistic text editors online or simple markdown editors on the tablet.

I’ve been looking into Scrivener recently because my writing project has become quite big and I’m having trouble navigating my huge text files, especially on the tablet. I thought about splitting them with Scrivener then sinc them as plain text on cloud storage to edit just the text in external editors on the go, and keep the organizing of the story and creating new scenes and chapters with Scrivener on my main computer (because Scrivener has great features for building the story !) .

My problem is that when Scrivener numbers the text files (but it’s the same with rtf files, except I don’t go looking into the rtf files manually) it is numbered :

1 2 3 [...] 9 10 11 [etc...]

But when I open my cloud storage, my files are in this order :

1 10 11 12 [...] 19 2 20 21 [Etc...]

Which means my story isn’t in the right order it should be.
That’s not really a bad bad thing, but it’s a bit annoying.

What the OP suggests would be nice. It would be great even. But even just having numbering in a standard number format would be nice so that ordering the files in alphabetical order would keep them in the same order than the original story. Something like :

0001 0002 0003 [...] 0010 0011 0012

Thank you for any input on this matter.
(And sorry if I wasn’t very concise or clear, English isn’t my primary language)

Nef

There’s an option in Sync > With External Folder to “Sync only documents in Collection: …” If you create your collection using a smart search (or just manually), would this be enough to do what you want?

The Mac version already does this automatically. i.e., if you’ve only 9 documents, then it’s 1,2, 3, 4 etc, but if you’ve 12, then it’s 01, 02, 03 etc, 100 documents then it’s 001, 002, 003 etc.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 13.15.35.png

As the Mac and Windows versions are supposed to be reaching feature parity with the next version, perhaps this will be included on Windows as well?

Thank you for that piece of information, I didn’t know it was already in Mac version. That would be nice. I don’t plan to buy a Mac… :smiley:

That’s actually an interesting idea, although it is not directly related to my suggestion. When compiling a document I can choose between output formats, like rtf, doc, fountain, mmd, etc. but at the same time I can also manipulate the output by writing replacement patterns in the replacement tab, for example with regexes. I’d wish to have that functionality in sync, so I can set up my sync folder and a keyboard shortcut and it keeps whatever is in the sync folder up to date, but already in the format and with the replacements that I have defined. Now I have to do multiple steps first sync and then run an external script to do all the transformations I need.

I suspect that external sync is meant simply to allow you to compose in another application — it’s not a complete replacement for compilation.