Summer reading

Well, I’m with Lucy on this one: I tend to read lighter stuff in the summer. Unfortunately, this plan has been derailed due to the stoopid floods which meant that (some of) the books I was supposed to read over the past month have been pushed back into Summerville.

The following is a brief list of books that are either in my house ready to be read, on my ‘holds’ list at the library, or planned acquisitions (in no particular order):

• C++ QUI Programming with Qt 4.1 (by Jasmin Blanchette and Mark Summerfield)
  • The Triumph of Caesar (by Steven Saylor)
  • Excel VBA programming for Dummies (by John Walkenbach)
  • 25 Deeds of Hanson Drake (by our very own BKE)
  • Starship Troopers (by Robert Heinlein)
  • Advanced Qt Programming (by Mark Summerfield)
  • Bad Monkey (by Carl Hiaasen)
  • Luther: The Calling (by Neil Cross)
  • Running Blind (by Lee Child)

Put 25 Deeds to the bottom of the pile :wink:

Well… things are looking up… I think :confused:
Camus’ 'The Rebel, arrived this morning, and thankfully, it’s in english. After reading the Preface and the Introduction, however, I’m not too sure whether or not I’d make more progress trying to read the French version of Selected Political Writings, :frowning:

I can highly recommend Briar Kit Esme’s “25 deeds of Hanson Drake”. Just finished reading it; highly enjoyable and thought provoking.

Hello Foxtrot

That’s a very kind and generous comment. Thank you so much…really glad you liked it.

You are very welcome but I would really like to know the lyrics of Monday’s March Past, if possible please :smiley:

You’re not the first to ask :smiley:

BKE,
I think Foxy was angling for an answer :wink: Is there one to be got? :confused:

guardian.co.uk/books/2013/ju … NTCMP=SRCH
The Following quote is from the above article by Stephen Poole, in Saturdays Guardian Review.

That was enough for me… mind rot is right up my street, so I ordered it.

Camus’ Exile and the Kingdom arrived this morning. Short stories, in English, so I should be able to get my rotting head around them easily enough.
So… I reckon that’s me sorted for the Summer. :smiley:
Ta-ta f’ now
Vic

Hello Vic

I think (assumed) that Foxtrot was asking a mischievously rhetorical question and just joking around with me, given that the Postscript of the novel gives the answer to that very question and points out that it has been asked before…hence my smiley-faced reply. If I give the complete answer here, it will spoil the story for people who have yet to read the novel.

Perhaps Foxtrot hasn’t read the PS… I know that some people stop at The End of the main part of the novel and some stop at the Warning. I think most go on to read the Epilogue and then the Postscript after that … the Postscript answers a lot of questions. Or at least it tries to.

Kit

Kit
Given Foxy’s glowing praise for T25DoHD, I think we can take as a given that he thinks he’s read it… all. So, just PM him with the answer to his question. :wink: :slight_smile: No spoiler needed.
Take care,
Vic

I have of course read the PS, hence my smiley face as well! I knew what your answer would be.

Master Foxtrot,
You wouldn’t by any chance be descended from
Æthelwulf-of-Wessex, would you? :confused:
Curious Fluff

Thanks, Foxtrot—that’s what I thought. Although I know some people have stopped at “The Warning”.

Vic was trying to help. I believe he thought I was spurning you in some way.

Thanks, Vic

Foxtrot knows the answer already. He/She has read the PS. Foxtrot was just joshing with me.

I very much doubt it Fluff as I have never had any urge to conquer Kent. I am afraid that your reference is lost on me.

Possibly, Master Foxtrot, because your ancestors have been there-done that-bought the T-Shirt-wore it to bed and burnt holes in it during post-coital smoking (forgive the rude word).

Ethnic orientation, is no bar to your links with Wessex, either. Since the earliest migration from the southern tip of the African continent, up to the present day and no doubt beyond, the human race has been, and will be, scattering its seed/genes/body fluids about, interracially, like confetti at a Royal wedding.

Now then, unless you, too, are a cat, and have been hiding your light under a bushel, suffice to say, without getting bogged down in metaphysical/paranormal/otherworldly debate or argument, it may come as a shock to you, to learn, that amongst we feline’s many innate abilities, is our extra sensory perceptiveness, albeit, sharper in some, duller in others. In my case, it’s the former. Allied to the feline’s formidable perspicaciousness, our hunches, are for the most part, dead certainties. However, in my case, you can remove, ‘for the most part’, from the equation, there’s no room for doubt.

The thing is, Master Foxtrot, my human, ineffably useless at most things, is a genius in the kitchen, when it comes to making, ‘Fishy-in-the-Dishy’!

You can forget Magic Mushrooms, Camberwell Carrots and LSD. FitD induces shamanic trances… so, for a goodly percentage of the 17hrs a day, that my human thinks I am asleep, I am in fact, communing on the Astral Plane with the likes of my cousin, Pangur Bán.

During one of our wide ranging discussions, pertaining to all things of relevance to this, that or the other, the question of your lineage, presented itself, albeit, fleetingly. A quick browse of the Scriv for Astral Plane’s ‘Summer Reading’ thread, left Pangur in no doubt whatsoever, that you have very strong links with Wessex.

’Tis fortuitous for all concerned, Master Foxtrot, that you feel no expansionist urges towards Kent… or elsewhere for that matter.
Take care
Fluff

Oi! Cat! Whatever it is you’re taking, stop it. Now.
You’ve mixed up the dustbins of the local Indian takeaway with those at the Manchester Royal Infirmary, haven’t you? It’s a safe bet that the onion bhaji you tucked in to…umm…wasn’t. :unamused:

Oh dear, Master Jeb. Looks like your glass is empty, and you’ve just discovered that the bottle is too. :cry:
Ah well… c’est le vie… eh, Master Jeb? :confused:
Fluff

Fluff have you been lapping your master’s sherry again?

Ahh! Master Foxtrot,
Good morning to you. I trust you slept well?
And so dawns another day of adventure, excitement, mystery, romance… and phantasy.

The common misconception amongst humans, that they are masters and mistresses of the Felidae family, is of course, utter bunkum and twaddle. We felines ensnare humans and train them to do our bidding. We… own them.

My human, useless as he is, does have feelings, and those feeling will be flayed and have salt rubbed into them, by your accusation that he is a sherry drinker. Guinness, The Ebony Ambrosia and Jameson, The Holy Amber Distillation, are his tipples of choice.

Ah! Here comes Pangur.
Must dash,
Fluff

[size=85]Sent from Pangur’s Astral iPad[/size]