Super/Sub-script formatting

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to automatically set up the super/sub-script functions to reduce the font when the function is activated. Typically this would reduce the font size by 2 or 3 points, i.e. a 12 point base font would reduce to a 10 or 8 point font in the different baselines. I see that I can do this manually, but would love to set this up to be automatic.

Thanks!

The best solution I can see is to create a ruler style which has a smaller font and super/subscript applied to it. While not automatic in the sense you are looking for, I think, it is only one step and in my opinion a bit easier than the sub-sub-menu item it takes to get to baseline adjustments.

As a complete noob, could you walk me through how to do that?

Sure, no problem. The way ruler styles work is they take a current setting and make it available for future use. This is not like word processor styles where you create something called “Chapter” and then everything tagged with Chapter takes its format from it. It is more like a format paintbrush, but that is fine for what we want.

1. The first step is to get things looking the way you want. Create some sample text and then select just the text that has had its font size decreased and baseline set the way you like.
  2. Now show the ruler if it isn’t already available. Press Cmd-R to toggle its visibility.
  3. In the top-left corner, you’ll see a drop-down menu called “Styles”. Click on that once, and at the very bottom choose “Other…”. You should see the text you selected in the preview, along with some font information in grey below it.
  4. Click the “Add to Favorites” button.
  5. Give it a name, like “Superscript”, and leave both checkboxes disabled; then click Add.

You could repeat this process for a subscript if you need. Now try it by selecting some other text in the document, clicking on the Styles menu in the Ruler, and choosing “Superscript”. All of your format options should be applied.

The first checkbox stores the font name in the favourite as well. In this case you don’t want that because this allows you to apply the font attributes (baseline and size) to any selected font. Saving ruler settings would also save things like line-spacing, tab stops, indents and so on. So while none of those would be useful for this favourite, they will certainly come in handy for other types of styles (like blockquotes).