Support for non-fiction and light technical

Your support for non-fiction and light technical documentation needs to be much better. It is a sin that you have to use LaTeX to create Scrivener’s User’s Manual! Thirty two years ago I created two-volume, 800-page technical book using LaTeX. I really like LaTeX, but it isn’t for the run-of-the-mill DIY author, and one can’t easily create output for eBooks and paperbacks from the same source.

1. The documentation for creating captions like:
    Figure: <$n:figure:SampleScrivenerWindow> Scrivener’s Window
    is very poor. The Users manual is silent about the !fig($@) syntax and shouldn’t be. Since this depends on Compile => Replacements, I feel that the manual should cover the native format. Both formats only work IF the I image occurs before any reference to it. That is really limiting!

2. I’d like to see better supports for references. Make them links for a eBooks, and supply a way to get a page number for paperbacks.

3, I’d like to see how to create a List of Figures & Tables.

1. You need to create short .scriv files for each project-type that demonstrate the types of functionality that might be desired for each type. I had hoped that the .scriv file for the user’s manual would be useful, but it isn’t a good example.

I think you vastly underestimate the complexity of providing flexible professional layout. This is the obvious reason that after 32 years, many people still use LaTeX, and no clear improved alternative has ever been developed. Indeed many of the new academic publishing platforms are still proudly using LaTex as the open-source solution. I personally hate the kludgy behemoth that is LaTeX, but it is the only tool that has the flexibility to adapt to most workflows.

I think it is not in the remit of Scrivener to deal with all of these, largely formatting issues. Many of us use Multimarkdown / Pandoc / Asciidoc in Scrivener for non-fiction. You should investigate these workflows, where you have much more flexibility to define your formatting and post-processing.