Swapping paragraphs

Is there a way (keyboard shortcut) to swap paragraphs?
Over the years I got used to Word’s “Alt Shift Up/Down” to swap the current paragraph (or several selected ones) with above and below. But I’d be fine with anything (some editors use Ctrl Up/Down) that enables me to quickly re-arrange a few lines.

I haven’t noticed the ability myself, besides just select paragraph, Ctrl+X, move cursor, Ctrl+V. It’s not quite as fast as Word, but can be done fully by keyboard. (Shift + arrows for the selection)

More keyboard shortcuts like this would be nice, though, especially if, like everything else in Scrivener, they can be configurable.

Thanks for the reply,

the cutting and pasting approach, however, is not as comfy and easy as you make it look like.
To swap a paragraph (as featured in Word and plain-text-editors) you may sit ANYWHERE in a paragraph, no matter how many lines it spans.

To cut and paste according to your suggestion, you first have to navigate to a precise spot from where to extend your selection. This involves END or Pos1, then a Shift End or SHIFT+arrows, Shift-Ctrl-arrows, whatever it takes to get the whole paragraph selected, including invisibile NewLIne and/or CarriageReturn codes.

Depending on the lengths of your paragraphs and their contents and fraying edges, this selection-process can turn into quite a chore. Especially if you re-arrange a lot.

A faster way to select the whole paragraph is triple-clicking it, but as a writer, you want to keep your fingers on the keys and not having to search for the mouse all the time.

If I did a lot of rearranging, I’d put each section/paragraph/sentence in its own file, then use the corkboard/outline/binder to swap them around.

Katherine

Thanks Katherine,
I use that feature, too, though not for granular nuggets like lines of dialog or sentences. Wihtin a scene I just want to see if a sentence sits better further up. If doing that takes several keystrokes, I feel like the tool is taking over, forcing me to switch panes and cut and merge documents, name them, etc.

It’s probably a matter of workflow and habit. Once you get used to an easy (and lightning fast) way of doing something, it is hard to switch to a more clumsy way that requires mouse traveling or several keyboard combinations.

Been using the swapping feature since the early days of text-processing. I think it is an extremely useful feature for any kind of writer. You hold down say Ctrl, and with each press of the up-arrow your present sentence/line/paragraph floats up right before your eyes.

Beware though, it is addictive and bound to get you hooked (I am living proof) :wink:

Yeah, I oversimplified a bit.