Switching Layouts

I use two layouts probably 95% of the time. One is a Document View with the Inspector, the other is a Storyboard View. I have them saved in the Layout Panel. But is there a way for me to quickly switch between them without using the Layout Panel or the application menu?

The Scrivener manual states under 9.7 Layouts Panel: When you save a layout, it will be added to the View>Layout>All Layouts>sub-menu. Since these are assigned a menu command, you can supply custom keyboard shortcuts for quick access to commonly used layouts.

How do I supply custom keyboard shortcuts? I can’t find how to do this.

Thanks!

You can customise shortcuts in OS X’s Keyboard preference pane. Just click on the “Keyboard Shortcuts” tab in that pane, and then “Application Shortcuts” in the sidebar. For example (to add a shortcut to a layout) follow these steps:

1. Click the + button below the right list
  2. Select Scrivener in the “Application” drop-down
  3. Type in “My Layout Name” for the menu title
  4. Click into the keyboard shortcut field, and then press the keys you wish to use for this shortcut
  5. Click the “Add” button.

Now switch back to Scrivener and give it a shot.

Not quite there yet. I used Option+D for my document view layout, and Option+S for my Storyboard view layout. When I hit Option+D the Binder steps to the next document/folder that begins with the letter D, and when I hit Option+S the Binder steps to the next document/folder that begins with the letter S.

I suspect this means those Option key combinations are already being used by Scrivener?

OS X uses the Option key for many things, so it’s not a good idea to try to map custom keyboard shortcuts to only a character and the Option key.