Sync complete but with errors "could not open file for write"

Hello,
Apologies if this has been addressed before, I could not find anything related to this when searching.

I am attempting to Sync with External Folder to allow collaboration with external co-authors. I am currently just syncing the contents ofthe draft folder using the RTF format. I am able to specify the folder (which is in my local dropbox) and the sync begins fine.

However, upon completion of the sync I get a dialogue box which says “Sync complete but with errors”. There is then a long list of portions of my text: “Could not export”[my text here] “Error: ‘Could not open file for write’”.

I have checked the synced folder and much of the text for the manuscript is there, however, those portions documented in the error dialogue box are missing entirely.

I am hoping there is something simple I have overlooked that will correct this issue.
Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

No ideas, anyone??

What happens if (as a test) you change the sync folder to a location outside of Dropbox – to a folder that is just within the local file system and doesn’t have a sync agent like DropBox or OneDrive watching it?

If that file location is under your User\Documents folder, make sure that your Documents isn’t redirected to OneDrive or a network location.

I would test both to a folder under my User folder as well as create a new temporary folder at the root of my C: drive (C:\testsync or something) and test with both. If one fails and not the other, then that tells me there are likely permissions issues somewhere.

If they both fail, then the next step would be to do a safe boot (so as to deactivate all the various add-ons) and try it again and see if that clears it up.

I know it is an old thread, but if helps to anyone else, I had the same problem.

It seemed I had various symbols that are not allowed in certain document folders. When I tried to export them to rtf (and docx), windows will have a problem reading it and will not create such folders.

Symbols were “&” “*” and “:”

I removed those symbols and it works fine.

Cheers