Sync selected files between 2 projects

Hi,
I have several opened projects I’m working on and some files are shared by both projects. Up to now, I copy them form one project to another, but this becomes messy when I modify the file in one of the projects.
I would like to know if there is a simple way, when I modify certain files in one of the projects that it could be updated in the other (not all of them, just the ones I have chosen). I’ve read about collaborative sync between several users in this forum, but this is not exactly what I’m looking for, here it’s just between me an me on my computer.
Thanks for your help.

No. Projects are self-contained, and there’s no way to share changes between them.

It is possible to share external files (Research files linked as Aliases) between projects, but not the core Draft files.

Could you explain what you’re trying to do in more detail? There might be an alternative approach.

Katherine

Sometimes I develop a file in one of my projects and it becomes implied in a second project. So far I copy it in this project.
But if I work on it afterwards in either of the projects it is included, modifications will not be synchronized in the other project. So I have to delete it and copy again the modified one etc.
It becomes challenging if I share a few files or a doc including several files. Most often I will forget and after a while I will not know which is or are the updated ones and in which project.
I’m looking for a way to have real time or just about automatic sync to avoid this copy delete paste maneuver for my shared files between my projects.
I hope this helps you in giving me a solution. Thanks.

Are these files part of the core draft or are they miscellaneous extra files, such as character bios, setting descriptions, or reference notes?

From what kewms (Katherine, sorry but I’m not used to having a name in the signature so I go by usernames) said it sounds like if they aren’t a part of the core draft you could set them up as external reference files, and either use a secondary program for updating them (my first automatic response) or if Scrivener can update to non-project files then update them in Scrivener, because an external reference file would only be as useful as how current it is I’d assume that Scrivener would then only access the most recent version. Mind you, this is a very rough guess based on what she asked, but I work on fiction projects so I don’t even have more than guesses as to how Scrivener handles external reference files.

Why not combine the two projects, if they’re that closely related?

Also, are these research files, or draft files? It’s possible to create a research link to an item in another Scrivener project. When clicked, the link will launch the file in its original home project.

(To do this, find the file in the original project, right-click on it in the Binder, and select the “Copy Document Link” command. Then paste into a Document Reference in the destination project.)

Katherine

Thanks to both of you.
My various projects are different and big. I don’t wish to bring them into one single project. But they share some common topics.
— I’ve tried creating a scrivener link. It’s a better option than mine. It would be even better if I could find a way to display the link’s content directly as a document instead of having to open it.
— The other option you proposed: I can’t find a way to create an alias file from a single document or a file. I’ve looked in the manual but can’t find a clue to it.
If ever you have time answering again to my questions, I would appreciate.

Linking to research materials as aliases is discussed in Section 11.1.3 of the Scrivener manual.

Katherine