Synching between computers

I have had good responses from L and L but still haven’t solved this issue: I have Scrivener on my home computer, iPad and iPhone. Everything syncs beautifully there (through Dropbox). When I try to access files on work computers (6 year old iMac at one place) and a year old MacBook Air (M1), I get this message. `

The project at “/Users/gailvbarnes/
Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener/1_SCTS.scriv”
seems to be of an older format, but no
binder.scrivproj file could be found
inside it. It may be missing or corrupt,
possibly because of a problem with the
device on which it is stored, or because
of a synchronisation problem

Try ctrl-clicking on the project in the
Finder and selecting “Show Package
Contents” then look for a file entitled
‘binder.scrivproj’. Ensure it has not been
renamed by a backup routine. If it does
not exist, try restoring from a backup.

If anyone has the secret handshake for resolving this, I would appreciate it.

Gail

Since you’ve already worked at this with tech support, it would be super useful to tell us what sort of causes have been ruled out (and perhaps how). Otherwise we are starting from scratch here.

Seems like when folks on the forum show up with this message, they are having an incomplete dropbox sync. (I assume you have ruled out corrupt project because you’ve had no problem with the project on other devices.) Since your ios devices are picking it up fine, that suggests that it is on the work side. Are your work machines behind a firewall or company-constrained in a way that might be running interference with your Dropbox use? You should verify that the project is actually getting updated as expected on the work machines.

What happens if you just take a copy of the project to work on a flashdrive and open it? Same problem or no problem?

One immediately wants to know if you are running the same version of Scrivener on all the Macs.

Have we made sure sure sure Dropbox syncing is complete on the relevant macs all the way round? Is this project for sure closed on other macs and synced before attempt to open on work mac? And for good measure are we backed out of the project on your ios devices (and preferably also synced if necessary)?

Probably all these are start over questions.

Here’s a related post: