Synchronizing Search Strings - again

After a system crash (not Scrivener’s fault), I open a document and get the Synchronizing Search Strings notice and it hangs (as explained elsewhere on this forum). What’s curious is that it’s the SSS notice itself that seems to hang - in other words, I can close the document and the notice remains. It only goes away when I close the Scrivener application. When I reopen the document I don’t get the SSS notice and everything seems to be fine.

I’m access the document off a PowerBook connected to my iMac via firewire, don’t know if this has anything to do with it, don’t imagine it should.

Michael

Have you checked the console to see if there are any error messages there? I checked the synchronising search strings code and there is nothing there that would cause it to hang. Or rather, I checked to see if there were any cases in which it would be possible for the code to get caught in an infinite loop, but there aren’t. Was the program locked, or was it just that the search strings panel didn’t close?
Best,
Keith

Nothing in the Console report.

The program wasn’t locked - in other words, I could close project file without problem, and then with the notice still hanging (but the horizontal blue barbershop pole (I think that’s the technical term) frozen) I could quit the program.

I’ll let you know if it happens again. Thanks for your response.

Michael

Had the project that was being synchronised actually opened and could you use it? I’m just wondering if it is a simple case of the synchronise panel not closing when it should rather than really hanging.
Best,
Keith

Uhh… not really sure, I didn’t think I should try editing the file while it was trying to SSS. Since I could close the file using the red button, I assume I could have edited it.

Michael

Try forcing a binder string synchronisation on the project and see what happens (to to File > Save and hold the Control key down whilst clicking on “Save”).
Best,
Keith

That worked fine, no hang.

I have seem the same thing happen to after a crash (from an older beta). I actually did try editing the project since the dialogue box seemed to be expired (though still drawn), and I was able to edit the project. I closed it immediately and restarted Scrivener and the warning didn’t come up the second time.

I’ve tried to replicate so you could get more information on it, but it requires a replicable crash, and Scrivener is too stable to really make that feasible!

Well, in my case, my machine went to sleep and wouldn’t wake up, so I had to force it to shut down. This might replicate the problem.

Oh that would make easier, if it isn’t a specific Scrivener crash fault that is causing it. You could probably just force quit the application then, which should have the same impact as switching the power off on the machine.

This sounds like something that happened to me. I’m not quite sure if it was exactly like michpen described because this incident occurred about a month ago just one time and with the 1.10 that got replaced by the 1.11 betas soon after. Since then Scrivener’s behaviour is as good as ever.

So maybe this is just the well known bug from 1.10 that has been fixed. I do understand very little of the console messages so I can’t tell. If it’s old news, ignore it.

Anyway, what I do know is that Scrivener did not freeze after a crash. Although something weird was going on before.

Luckily, I still have the console log. In my excerpt below I keep a few lines from before Scrivener’s freeze. The line with ‘de-office-bibliothek’ is one of about 4000 (no mistyping: four thousand!!!) similar error messages for this program (little more then a search mask for a bunch of German dictionaries) over a short period of time. (I x-ed some figures in it because of a sudden attack of paranoia.)