Syncing a Project

I’m not sure if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find it.

I normally work on a single computer, but occasionally I may be on a different one. For that reason, I put Scrivener on a flash drive as well as on my primary. Obviously I want to work off of the computer whenever possible because it’s faster.

My question is: Is there any capability to sync the two directories so I’m always working on the most up to date one?

You can use a service like Dropbox to keep the project in sync across machines. It adds a layer of complexity and a little extra work from you to ensure that you’re careful about not opening the project before the sync has completed and not having the project open in more than one location simultaneously, but if you’re careful this can work very well. This knowledge base article describes the method and the best-practice rules; you can also check out the “Scrivener Everywhere” chapter in the user manual (available from the Help menu).

Other services besides Dropbox work for this as well, but we currently advise against SkyDrive on Windows 8.1 and GoogleDrive, as neither seems to work well with Scrivener’s multi-file format and users have reported problems of some files not syncing, etc. Be sure whatever you’re using that you’re making regular backups, so if you do end up with a sync conflict you’ll be able to restore from the backup and be back on track quickly.

Is the GoogleDrive advisory mentioned back in Sept still valid? I currently use GoogleDrive for many projects so would like to use it for scrivener based stuff rather than yet another service.

Would employing the automatic backup step mentioned under the using scrivener with DropBox instructions (making sure the backup on Open or Close or both) be protective against GoogleDrive sync issues?

thanks! the file syncing issue is one reason i’ve not used scrivener more often, being limited to a single pc to write from when in my lifestyle scenario i bounce between pc’s fairly often.

We’re still cautious about Google Drive, so the advisory is still in effect. I have seen a couple positive reports from users recently who’ve given Google Drive a shot for syncing live projects and have thus far been successful, but we haven’t had enough definite success stories or enough drop-off in problem reports to want to change our recommendation. You can certainly give it a try if you like, but go into it with your eyes open knowing that you may encounter problems, and take extra precautions to have recent backups on both machines. (Don’t save your backups to a central location shared by both machines unless you’ve disabled the option to limit the number of backups, or you’ll only have half as many as you should–five total, for instance, instead of five for each machine.)

You should follow the directions for proper sync in the article linked above, but the advisory is given with the assumption you’d be adhering to the guidelines; they’re not a way to avoid the general problems of Google Drive just not reliably syncing all the files within the project.

Unless I’m misunderstanding and you’re asking about the alternative method mentioned in the article, of essentially storing your zipped backups in the sync folder and then unzipping the most recent to work on locally and creating a new zipped backup to the sync folder when you’re done? In that case, yes, that would get around the Google Drive problems, because you’d only be keeping zipped projects there. A zipped folder is treated like a single file, uploaded as one giant chunk, if you will, rather than a bunch of little pieces that all need to make the jump for the whole thing to work. You still need to give the drive time to complete the sync, but you don’t have to worry about opening it midway through the process or part of it it not coming along–either the file will be complete and useable or it will be obviously only a partial file that can’t be opened yet.

Thanks MM!
Well i may try the syncing backups approach to work between two machines. seems like an interesting idea for Scrivener is to become able to utilize the zipped backups as its source.
shrug, may be more difficult that it sounds, just sounds possible.

thanks again for the reply