This happens to every single document I want to sync since this morning. I know it is supposed to work and I used it all day yesterday. As of this morning, it behaves this strangely. Please tell me what I can do to debug this?
I’ve just realised that it’s the square brackets that are the main problem with your text. Try downloading a copy of TextWrangler macupdate.com/app/mac/11009/textwrangler (it’s free) and have a look at one of your text files using that. It will tell you what encoding is being used. If you’ve opened one of your files via Simplenote using another computer (particularly a PC) it might have re-saved it in another encoding.
I’m having this exact problem. When I paste my text into Textwrangler or Byword it looks clean (I’m writing in MMD), and then still syncs to Simplenote with everything broken except for the letters. I have not changed any of my settings and this was working fine just a few days ago. Help!
It seems that Simplenote has changed its encoding expectations at some point in the last week. I’ve emailed them to find out what is going on, to see if this is permanent, but in the meantime, please download the latest beta, which I’ve just uploaded here: