[Synopsis] Greek letter π appears in different font!

Hello gods of this wonderful software!

could you please offer me a solution to this:

among others, I’m typing much text in (ancient) Greek, but when I type text in the synopsis panel the letter pi (π) appears in italic form and is taken from another font (unknown to me). I didn’t check it in other panes (notes e.g.), since the writing falls mainly in the big text area in the middle.

I would really appreciate any solution, since it somehow distracts me too much :confused:

Thank you

Hi,

This is most likely because the font you are using has no pi symbol in it. When you type a character that has no representation in the current font, OS X will automatically exchange it for a different font - OS X decides which one. So the best thing to do would be to choose a different font for the synopsis area.

All the best,
Keith

thanks Keith,

but… it didn’t work. By default the Synopsis uses LucidaGrande and I tried every unicode font I have but still. It also appears on the corkboard cards.
The letter-pi looks suspiciously similar to the standard italic-pi, residing in the ASCII (!) set and out of Helvetica Neue.

After I copied the synopsis text in the document notes’ area everything conformed to the prescribed font, but copying that back again changed the pi too :open_mouth:

Any more clues?

Greetings :slight_smile:

thanks Keith,

but… it didn’t work. By default the Synopsis uses LucidaGrande and I tried every unicode font I have but still. It also appears on the corkboard cards.
The letter-pi looks suspiciously similar to the standard italic-pi, residing in the ASCII (!) set and out of Helvetica Neue.

After I copied the synopsis text in the document notes’ area everything conformed to the prescribed font, but copying that back again changed the pi too :open_mouth:

Any more clues?

Greetings :slight_smile:

Hi,

The character you pasted into your first post is “Greek small letter pi”. Looking at that in the special characters palette, that seems to be italic for many fonts. Testing it out in Courier, it does indeed look italicised - it’s not in a different font, though, that’s just how the character looks in that particular font. You may need to choose a different pi character variant if you want it to look different.

All the best,
Keith