Synopsis question

I know about pulling the beginning of a document into the synopsis card in the inspector pain, but is there an easy way to merge the synopsis from the collective index cards of a chapter together into the inspector synopsis for the containing folder synopsis?

Say I have a folder that contains a chapter. In that folder my chapter is split into 5 parts. Each of these parts contain a synopsis in the inspector. I want to merge these into one cohesive synopsis for the chapter entire and paste it in the inspector synopsis for the containing folder. Is there a way to do this without having to copy and paste from each card into the folder card, going back and forth?

Thanks

One way (perhaps not the best way) to do this would be to select in the binder all the cards whose synopses you want to merge, duplicate them, merge the duplicates, and then copy/paste the merged synopsis to your folder. After that you can delete the merged file, and you’re left with what you want. It’s still got some extra steps, but if you use keyboard shortcuts (cmd+D, alt+cmd+M) it should be faster than selecting each individual document and doing the copy-paste from the synopsis.

However, a couple things I just want to mention: First, you can set Scrivener to show the corkboard or outliner by default when you select a folder, and in either of those you can view all the synopses of the folder’s subdocuments. If you’re just trying to get an overview of what happens in the chapter and are using the document synopses to do so, that might be sufficient for you, rather than duplicating the information.

Second, if you do need a synopsis for the folder, you might be better off writing a new summary of all the scenes rather than taking each synopsis–unless you have short, one-sentence synopses, it will quickly add up and be unwieldy. By using the technique above, you can make all your subdocument synopses visible while having the folder meta-data accessible in the inspector and can then draw on that to write a quick new summary, which might prove more useful in the long run.