System Limitations of Leopard

You need to be aware that you will need a hefty mac to run Leopard.

Requirement: Mac OS 10.5 “Leopard”
Processor: G4 (867+), G5, Intel
RAM: 512 MB
Disk Space: 9 GB
Miscellaneous: Built-in Firewire required Photobooth backdrop effects require Intel Core Duo or faster, Boot Camp requires Intel Mac, Front Row requires built-in IR, DVD Player requires 1.6 GHz processor for improved de-interlacing

If your system does not measure up, it will not run Leopard.

:confused:

To be fair, that’s not really that “hefty”.

Aug 2002 - All Power Macs > 867MHz
Nov 2002 - All Powerbooks > 867MHz
Aug 2003 - All iMacs > 867MHz
Apr 2004 - All iBooks > 867MHz

So Leopard is supported by every Mac sold in at least the last 3.5 years, ranging up to 5.25 years for the pro line, and every Intel mac sold since they launched. That’s pretty respectable.

Compared to what Microsoft demands for every new “upgrade” of their Windows “Operating” System - realistically, you have to buy a new computer for it every time -, this is rather moderate.

In fact, being new to the Mac world, I find it hard to believe I might be able to upgrade a computer I already own to an advanced version of an operating system. It’s a few month that I bought my iMac, yes, but nevertheless - I’ve never done something like that before in the dark lowlands of Windows… :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I will not be among the first users of Leopard. Next year, maybe.

You lucky tykes!

Read my profile line below. I miss out by one lousy release (G4 733). DANG! I’ll just have to get the new nano mini when it is released on Black Friday (November the 23rd).

Yes, a smart idea not be an early adopter on this release. Good thinking.

Cheers
:slight_smile:

My Lord Lightning,

Nit-picky irrelevancies notwithstanding, thank you, for once again revealing your apparently innate concern for the well being of other Scrivenerati, with your timely warning concerning the imminent launch of Leopard.

Not all of us are as au fait, as others are, with the requisite requirements of, this, that or tother`, bits of kit and software. Nice to know somebody is keeping an eye on things for us. Much appreciated. Thanks

Take care
Vic

I must admit, I missed that :wink:

But assuming you’re on a desktop, that means your computer is over 4 years old. It’s a credit to Macs that they remain functional for so long, but I don’t think you can really complain because you can only run Tiger, an OS that came out 2 years after you bought the Mac…! :wink:

You’re missing out - Leopard is lovely. :slight_smile: I hate booting into Tiger now. It seems so old-fashioned and clunky by comparison (Leopard is much faster - though that may just be because it is optimised more now for Intel machines).

At any rates, if you don’t upgrade, you won’t be missing out on too much with regards to Scrivener. There is only one very minor feature of the text system that becomes available to Scrivener in Leopard; everything else, aside from a few minor aesthetics, will be consistent across both Leopard and Tiger for Scrivener. And Scrivener will continue to run on Tiger for all 1.x releases (unless 1.x releases continue for five years or something…).

All the best,
Keith

If, like me, you are ‘processor challenged’, you can still ‘see’ what Leopard would look like on your machine. If you have ShapeShifter then you need to find and apply Liger. Liger is a full theme implementation for Tiger of the Leopard interface - sans the small handful (300 items) of new tricks. All-in-all though, it is a luscious look. It runs seamlessly on Tiger 10.4.10.

It makes Scrivener look really top of the town.

:smiley:

If you have a key app on this list it might be wise to consider holding off on a Leopard install for a while yet.

guides.macrumors.com/List%3AAppl … th_Leopard

:confused:

Once again, Lord Lightning, we are grateful for the way you look out for us.

Therefore the sages:
Places themselves last but end up in front
Are outside of themselves and yet survive
Is it not all due to their selflessness?
That is how they can achieve their own goals - Tao Te Ching

I was happy enough with System 9, writing not requiring much of my machine… until Scrivener came out.

It is always such with killer apps. Thank you, Keith, for the heads up on what we may expect from Scrivener in the future.

I am amused by the fact that here we are, we Mac users, discussing a substantial operating system upgrade and the fact that it will work on hardware 3-5 years old, while someone points out that Windows upgrades of similar extent basically require new hardware.

What about OS downgrades? I have a friend who bought a Compaq Presario V3000 this summer, which came with Vista installed. She hated Vista to such an extent that she got a true techie friend to remove it and install XP, which he did and issued warnings about not messing with the resulting set up.

This weekend she was hit by a major virus, which has destroyed all but 25% of her files, has required a low-level reformat of the hard disk and a complete re-installation of Windows. Her all-singing, all-dancing nearly brand new laptop now no longer has a sound system. Compaq not only do not provide sound-system drivers for the model in question, but they say “We do not support downgrades” on their website! Sadly, the techie friend who worked the magic the first time round is now in the States …

So, if someone buys a new iMac or MacBook (Pro), say, in the next month or so, with Leopard installed, and finds that their most important app won’t run under Leopard … will they be able to dig out their Tiger 10.4 or whatever installation disks and install that on their new hardware (I mean bought upgrades, not the original system disks for their machine, cos those are usually machine-type specific)? Or will they too end up with a somewhat crippled piece of hardware?

Mark

Apple won’t be changing their hardware specs for a while; until then there’s no real risk of hardware being incompatible with older OSes. But even still, looking at the list of software that anyone would consider even closely critical will have updates out very soon, probably within the month.

More than one of the items on the list are unnecessary with new hardware (iScroll2, Sidetrack), and many of the others are haxies and the ilk.

I’m personally unconcerned with the risks of the upgrade; I’ve got it running and it’s lovely, even with my “unsupported” apps (DEVONthink Pro).

Yeah, I noticed that the majority of apps on that list are hacks and system tweakers. So no surprise that they aren’t yet Leopard-compatible.

@Xiam: If the person in question has a retail copy of Tiger, i.e. one that isn’t tied to a particular type of hardware, then yes, a downgrade back to 10.4 should be no problem at all.

Actually you should be able to install leopard. There is, somewhere on the net, cant find it right now, a guide on how to install leopard on g3 or slower g4 systems. If I remember right it involved installing leopard on another system, applying a patch that bypasses the cpu-check, and then moving the drive back to your old g3/g4 system. A bit work but if you really need, or really want, I guess it could be worth it.

Funny, I just read that exact same workaround. But boy, is it all a bit technical. Unless you’re comfortable with the Terminal and suchlike, I wouldn’t recommend it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4351480&posted=1#post4351480

Another approach…

Isn’t that the same method?