Tab Stops Reset

I changed the ruler in the default text style to inches and set the tab stops at half inch intervals. It doesn’t seem to want to stay this way though. Once I exit, the first tab stop will stay at a half inch, but all the others reset back to their original positions. If I get rid of all the tab stops except the first one, they all reappear again.

Is there any way to keep the tab stops from resetting?

Hi, I can’t reproduce this. Are you saying that the tab stops you set in the Preferences don’t appear that way in new documents? (Remember that the formatting in the Preferences only affects new text documents, not existing ones.)
All the best,
Keith

Just to make sure I’m making the changes in the correct place, I went to Preferences > Text Editing and adjusted the tab stops on the ruler under Default Man Text Attributes. My plan was to select all of the existing documents and convert them to the default text style so they would take on the new tab settings.

I changed the ruler from centimeters to inches and set each tab stop half an inch apart and clicked OK to accept the changes (I also tried hitting apply). When I convert an existing document to the default text style, only the first tab stop is correct. All the other tab stops have reverted to the default position. I looked at the ruler to confirm this. I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I also removed the forced indent and set the spacing to single. I’ve have no problem retaining those setting.

A new document will show the correct first tab stop, but the other tab stops are in the wrong position.

Hi,

I’ve been trying to reproduce this but I still can’t. Tab stops are fine for me when I convert documents or create new documents after changing the tab stops in the preferences. Make sure you click into the text area to check tab stops, as the ruler doesn’t update until the text has the focus - could this be the source of confusion? Perhaps you could post some screenshots showing the process and where it is going wrong?

When you go back into your Preferences, are the tabs as you expect there?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I got it to work. The problem seems to be when I set all the tab stops in one go. If I set one tab stop, click OK, go back to preferences, set another one, click OK, the tab stops don’t reset. For whatever reason, setting the tab stops one at a time, rather than all at once, fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help. I think it’s great that you take the time out of what I’m sure is a busy schedule to help your users.

Glad you got it to work, although you definitely shouldn’t need to do things one at a time, so something is wrong here. You might want to try deleting the preferences file to see if that fixes things, as it is possible that it is a corrupt preferences file causing things to act strangely. Let me know if you want to try that and don’t know how.
All the best,
Keith

I trashed the preferences file and now it works like it should. I was actually thinking of that solution, but for some reason didn’t try it out. Back when I used Final Cut Pro, trashing the preferences file always solved weird problems like that. Thanks again for the help.

Glad that got it working. Preferences files are strange things that can cause many an odd glitch that just seem totally random; I’m not sure why.
All the best,
Keith