Table appearance on a Kindle

Hi there,

I have myself a Kindle 2, and use Scrivener to compile my novel for the Kindle. I have a table of information that displays perfectly in Scrivener, exactly how I want it, yet on my Kindle, while the table and its data is present, the data appears squashed up against other words, and out of place (The data is not correctly lined up in their proper places).

Is there anything I can do to make my table appear as it does in Scrivener on my Mac?

You could maybe try fiddling a bit with the HTML by compiling to ePub, opening it an Sigil and then using Calibre or KindleGen to convert it to .mobi, but it might never quite look like you want it. Tables are notoriously no good on the Kindle (and for that matter I don’t know of any major e-book reader that handles them well). I’ve never seen a major publisher using them for this reason. They stick with inserting screenshots of the table as graphics.

Hi AmberV,

Thanks for letting me know. How do I insert screenshots of the table as graphics into my book while working on it in Scrivener?

twistedtree

Just drop it into place, like a regular word processor, right into the text where it should appear. If you would like to cross-reference to it using Scrivener Links, then you should put it in its own section. Basically cut the section into two pieces and create a document in the middle for holding the table graphic. This would give you an anchor to link to, and it also gives you the option to pagebreak the table. Do note that if you use page breaks, you’ll need to make your own ToC in the end rather than using the automatically generated one. That uses page breaks, which means your table documents would show up in the ToC. :slight_smile: See the chapter in Final Phases of the user manual on creating a ToC.

Thanks AmberV,

I already have Scrivener make ToC’s for me. Is that sufficient?

twistedtree

Well that’s my point, if you’re using Scrivener’s automatic ToC and you insert page breaks on your table documents then you’ll need to switch to making your own, otherwise it will add the tables into the ToC as though they were chapters, which I’m guessing you don’t want. So this is only a problem if you page break your table graphics, or if your chapters are one single file in the binder (rather than a folder with a set of sectional files in it. Fortunately it’s easy to make your own ToC, so if you need to, don’t worry about it. If you can’t figure it out just ask us for help.

My chapters are a set of sectional folders, with the corresponding chapter itself inside.
Using Scrivener, how would I go about making my own ToC?

This is discussed in chapter 22 of the user manual; using that, you’d want to select the folders when copying as links.