Table of content looks different after export

Hi guys,

I am trying to compile ebook using epub3 the table of content is not being compiled like it suppose to be. it either shows “untitled document” or the page are not linked to content or formatted correctly.

How to fix this?

E-books get a ToC by default when exporting, so adding a ToC would create an extra XHTML doc in your output.

For adding this ToC, the fifth icon above the Compile Overview’s right pane, with an e-book Compile Format selected, will provide you.some options for title and placement.

Do your Titles in the Binder look italic in gray color? Then you might try Double-clicking and name them or turn the generated titles in real titles using the Format menu.

Fixing errors in the compiled result is best done in the e-book editors Sigil or Calibre. Knowing HTML and CSS will help a lot if you do.

Hope this Helps

What a degenerate piece of software. I wrote the book in 3 days, once I moved to work on publishing, Scrivener turned the pleasure of writing into editorial burden.
I use apple pages now, free software - without complicated, over the top, useless features, that blur the line between what’s useful and counterproductive! I think the developers lost it completely. People talked index related issiues more than 2 years ago. What can be more important in writing software other than ease of use?

Scrivener is optimized for writing, so if you wrote your book before using Scrivener, you missed the point.

In Scrivener, writing en formatting the output document are separated, so you can keep focused on writing longer works and worry about how it looks on paper or screen later.

Keeping things simple in Scrivener is certainly possible, even advisable, but when you need more complicated features, they’re available as well.

The power of Scrivener lies it its flexibility, which comes with some agree of complexity. Write once and generating a dozen different document file types comes at the price of learning how Compile really works.

Creating e-books in Scrivener is not ideal, that’s why you use Sigil or Calibre to administer the finishing touches.

Publishing books should be left to graphic software like InDesign or Affinity Publisher, not to Scrivener. Just output docx or rtf and import those in your publishing software.

But each to his own, is the saying, isn’t it?

Is there any tutorial showing how to best write in Scrivener from start to finish?

May I suggest to start the Interactive Tutorial, reached through the Scrivener Help menu?
If you prefer books, find them on the Literature and Latte Books page.

One important question - why there is no compile preview?

The white previews in the middle column of the Compile Format Designer function as previews for the formatting of various Section Layouts. Double-click your format in the Compile Overview window to open the Compile Format Designer.

Scrivener is not a wysiwyg-editor. Compiling a few times is common practice. Once your Compile Format is perfect you can output it by clicking two buttons: Compile and Compile.

Compile and Compile, such a waste of time we should be able to see the result before it is compiled. I don’t see any benefit in the current way compile works. It’s like if you put a seasoning on your soup then you taste it to find you have to cook it again because you used wrong seasoning. And you do it all over again all day.

It’s more like creating a good recipe for a perfectly formatted document, you can cook over and over again.

I have Compile Formats for Writing Contests returning every year and I just need two buttons to comply to their strict formatting rules, for example.

If you have the time.

Best Practice is to compile early and compile often, so you are familiar with the process once deadlines race toward you…

No, the best practice it to have the preview. I don’t know how can you think endless compiling is any good. It only brings wasted time and frustration.

I think maybe, at a certain point, it’s a bit weird to be going into a software forum to complain about a fundamental principle of its design, that will never change, and in result was clearly not made for people that think that design approach is “degenerate”.

Just move along, and use something that is more akin to your working style! Easy as that. :slight_smile: You won’t see me in the Pages forums making a stink about how bad I think WYSIWYG is for writing. Imagine having choices in life.

1 Like

I don’t find it weird at all, scrivener support is almost non-existent via the email. I also don’t work for apple pages, but I have paid for Scrivener. You call this a software fundamental design but for users it a fundamental flaw. Talking about imagining having choices in life while no choice of preview.

These workflows may be of use. The first is a comprehensive end-to-end fiction compile with chapter numbers, titles, epigraphs, POV-specific headers, page breaks, etc. (Leave out anything you don’t want.)

The second compiles chapter titles, epigraphs, and synopsis entries and illustrates Scrivener’s ability to create very different exports from the same content. (WYSIWYG would make that impossible.)

Chapters, Headings, and all That

a synopsis/epigraph report

Also watch Literature & Latte’s Compile tutorials. Four videos, 22 minutes, can make a big difference.

Getting Your Work Out

1 Like

I frequently offer one-on-one assistance at no charge unless you want to donate, and I publish simple-enough guides to using Scrivener as well. Many others offer courses and videos. But yes, email and chat support like this are (IMHO) often useless no matter how much effort we put into it.

We can do a Zoom session, if you want some help figuring everything out.

one on one assistance

1 Like