Table of Contents, epub, and Compilation Options

Please help? :slight_smile:
I use a PC.
So I’m new to Scrivener and I just spent about 20 hours his weekend trying to figure out how to create a custom table of contents for epub or mobi. Compile keep creating a very ugly and very primitive, unformatted ToC. I see about a zillion tutorials online that I should look on Compilation Options and change the layout, etc…but I don’t have those options.

Finally after hours and hours of reading and researchin g, I finally guess this might be a very unfortunate issue of Mac vs PC. Can anyone confirm this?

Regardless, I’m still in the same situation. I want to create my own ToC and not the automagically generated one when I compile epub. Does anyone have suggestions?

I know, of course, how to go to Edit > Copy Special and select options there…but that gives me two table of contents.

Anyone? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!!
Dan

The Mac isn’t too different in this regard, though it does have one capability that you are referring to that can help people sort out a custom ToC page. That aside, I highly recommend picking up a tool that is capable of editing ePub files. Calibre or Sigil are good options, and they both will give you as much detailed control as you want, all the way down to the technical details of the HTML and CSS used to construct the content and layout. But to be clear, especially with Sigil, you don’t need to know HTML to design your own ToC or make modifications to the look of the book as it has a “WYSIWYG” mode.

Think of Scrivener more like a tool for getting a rough version out, ready for final polish, without much intention of producing a final product (that’s largely true for any format, to varying degrees). It’s primary focus, especially on Windows, is as a writing tool not a publication or finishing tool.

And by the way, this works for Kindle as well. When you’ve designed the e-book as you wish, open the .epub file in Kindle Previewer to generate a .mobi file automatically (using the same tool Scrivener uses, KindleGen). I don’t recommend using Calibre for this conversion as it cannot produce a hybrid .mobi that will look good on everything from a Kindle Gen 1 to the latest models and mobile apps.