Table of Contents for ePub

I am using Scrivener to present in ePub format 100 letters that I have transcribed. When I am working on the letters, I want to see each one to show up in the Binder, but when I export it to the ePub, each letter shows up which makes for a very long table of contents. All I need is five chapters in the table of contents, each one containing the letters for the year they were written and each chapter named for the year. How do I prevent all those letters from showing up individually in the table of contents, but keep them in my Scrivener file’s Binder shown individually?

Make a folder for each year, put each year’s letters in the appropriate folder. With all the folders expanded, you’ll be able to see every letter in the binder, but when you compile, if you are using the compile preset that comes with the Novel template, you’ll get a chapter for each folder, and each letter will act as a “scene”. You may have to adjust the compile settings to include the document titles, or to start a new page after every letter, but that’s what you’ll need to do to get a simpler ToC.

Thank you. So now I know I am on the right track, but I still have each scene showing up in the ToC. Just to recap, I am hoping to see the scenes in the Binder but not in the ToC.

This just occurred to me: if you have page breaks between each letter, then you’re going to get an entry for each one in the table of contents; that’s how it knows to create each entry. The only way to keep the page break but not have entries in the ToC is to edit the ePub with some program like Sigil and remove those entries. That may only affect the ToC pages that come after the other front matter, and not the navigation menu for an ebook reader. You’ll have to experiment with that if it matters to you.

Would that mean exporting my Scrivener file to Sigil, removing page breaks in Sigil and then bringing the material back into Scrivener? Or would I do the whole ePub prep in Sigil?

Sigil would be your final step before your epub file is ready to distribute. Think of it as a paper print out in that regard; you wouldn’t then scan in the printed pages and put them back into Scrivener either.

Thanks so much!

Actually, you don’t need to edit in Sigil. Just create your own table of contents document in Scrivener using Scrivener links rather than relying on the auto-generated one, which won’t suit every purpose.