Table support on Markdown export

Dear all,

I very much appreciate the availability of Scrivener on Linux!

I use it to structure and write scientific articles, to be exported in MultiMarkdown.

However, I noticed that a table created visually in Scrivener is not exported to MultiMarkdown.

Is it possible to add table export support in the upcoming release?

Your response is appreciated.

Warmly,

Robert

We may consider expanding the scope of what Scrivener can convert to MMD syntax in the future, but it’s a kind of up in the air thing, so I wouldn’t count on it being there some day: continue using native syntax for anything you’re going to need to export in a meaningful fashion. A tip, I use a monospace font for stuff like tables, otherwise it’s just a huge mess to look at.

For now it is best (with the exception of the things that are listed in the MMD and Scrivener sub-section of the Multimarkdown chapter in the user manual) to treat Scrivener just like you would a plain-text editor when working with markdown. Consider the rich text tools something more like personal editing markings that you’ll never see on output.

This is a good approach. Thanks for mentioning that. I was actually wondering, while googling for Scrivener + Markdown tutorials - that some people wrote in plain Markdown syntax whereas others relied on the rich-text features and hoped for compatible export to Markdown.

The only downside when writing directly in Markdown syntax is that I will lose the possibility to compile to other formats, however.

Yeah, that’s true, but in my humble opinion it’s a pretty minor problem, mostly one of convenience if anything. It would be easier to select ePub or Mobi and get an e-book out of a Markdown project, but it’s actually not that hard to do that already outside of Scrivener, post-compile. The plain “MultiMarkdown” option in the Compile For menu is there so that you can use other tools and scripts that Scrivener itself doesn’t support—such as Pandoc’s excellent array of formats, which includes ePub. For everything else, honestly you’ll be getting a higher quality result with MMD at this time, anyway. Scrivener’s RTF and word processor formats are devoid of stylesheets for instance, but when you use MMD->FODT and work with that in LibreOffice, that’s a really high quality word processor document. You’d spend hours of manual labour getting it to that point with the native RTF for a complex document that includes figures, tables, captions and cross-references. Likewise, HTML is solid, fully semantic and modern, whereas the native HTML is Qt’s conversion engine, which like most rich text to HTML outputs, is rather messy with and based purely upon appearance rather than function.

But maybe convenience is more important than that sort of stuff. Not everyone needs a clean HTML5 devoid of inherent style, and just want a web page output that looks like the text editor did. In that case, it can get in the way to use a lot of Markdown in the editor. I’ll just say that we’re definitely striving to find a convergence here, both in increasing the quality of the native formats as well as hopefully increasing the flexibility of mark-up approaches. We’ve got some cool stuff in the pipeline for the future, but this stuff all takes a ton of work. :slight_smile:

…which I appreciate a lot. Thanks for your efforts, especially for the Linux version!