Tables in Scrivener>MMD3>Latex [SOLVED]

Hi,

I have decided to try scrivener for my Master Thesis and find it amazing.
So far, I’m still using the trial, but I’ve pretty much made the decision to buy once it expires.

However, I have run into some problems. I’m using MMD to write my document, and use quite many tables in my paper. I use the MMD syntax to mark them:

A B
1 2
3 4

[Table]

However, when I use MMD->Latex as compile command, the tables still appear as above after making the latex document. I tried to export as MMD and look at the source file, and there are empty lines after every line in the table:

| A | B |

| :-- | :-- |

| 1 | 2 |

| 3 | 4 |

[Table]

I guess that’s why they are not MMD-ed into a table. I tried using “Enter” to separate lines, the result was as above. Then, I tried to do a line break instead of paragraph break, and it didn’t solve the problem either.

Can anyone please tell me how to solve this?
Editing the whole thing by hand in MMD file when I need to make an output doesn’t make sense for me, as I need to consult interim versions of the paper quite often.

Shouldn’t the [Table] definition be at the start of the table:

[Table caption][Table label]

A B
1 2
28 13

The caption and label can be the same, but if you have really long table names then a shorter label is much easier for setting up automatic cross-referencing:

Hi,
according to MMD3 manual:

| | Grouping ||

First Header Second Header Third Header
Content Long Cell
Content Cell Cell
New section More Data
And more And more

[Prototype table]

So I did it that way…
I’m a newbie to both MMD, Scrivener and Latex. So I’m just learning on the go.

Ah, we may find we are tripping down the gap between MMD2 and MMD3.

Scrivener currently installs with MMD2, which, as far as I know, requires the [Caption][label] to be at the top of the table.

MMD3 seems to allow captions and labels to be placed either above or below the table (which is good: I don’t want to have to re-code all my tables when I finally switch to MMD3).

If you are using Scrivener/MMD out of the box then it may be that the MMD2 is not recognising the MMD3 syntax.

(Or I may be barking up completely the wrong tree.)

I have install MMD3 (by accident) and had some trouble making it work with Scrivener (and the same amount of trouble trying to re-instate MMD2), but now, the MMD3 works perfectly…
When I export into MultiMarkdown, manually delete the empty lines and convert to LaTeX in the command line, the tables are there (except I can’t produce the target PDF because of the missing preamble, but that’s not important at this moment).
All I want is Scrivener giving me the possibility to write and export the “Textmate style” or old-fashioned way typewriter style. If I want an empty line in the output, I want to do double-Enter.

Scrivener really shouldn’t be inserting empty lines here by default. Are you using the RTF formatting to text spacing converter in the compiler? There is an option that will convert paragraph spacing and indent (and combinations of them) to literal carriage returns and spaces. This can wreak a bit of havoc with MMD unless you use it in a very controlled fashion. I myself just prefer to type into Scrivener as if it were TextMate (at least in this context), as it avoids scenarios like this.

At any rate, if the MMD plain file out of Scrivener has spaces, it’s not an MMD2 vs MMD3 thing, the table format hasn’t changed—caption/label has always been at the bottom (though maybe it was optionally allowed at the top before?). Spaces can be used in a table, if you want to break it apart into sections—but these spaces need to be in between cell rows, not in between the major elements.

Well, there you go, entirely the wrong tree.

My only (feeble) excuse is that I learnt my table syntax from Fletcher’s Sample Multimarkdown Scrivener document …

Wow, some magic happened :slight_smile:
Thank you both for your help!
It was Compile>Text options>Convert to plain text: paragraph spacing and indents
which was causing the problems - as AmberV pointed out.
I unchecked it now, and everything works beautifully.
Another proof that Scrivener is a wonderful software.
I will now solve the rest of my worries in a LaTeX forum :slight_smile:
Btw. Could someone give me a clue when is the next Scrivener with MMD3 support coming up?
Or will the Scrivener I purchase in 15 days transfer into the new version with a free update?

We are still working on some of the finer details of that integration. MMD3 does not lend itself well to embedding in another application, because it has some UNIX level dependencies that the installer takes care of. As we’d like to keep the same level of seamless integration from before, getting a bundled version working is part of the plan. No ETA yet, originally we were going to try and get it into the next 2.1 release, but with the problems that came up, it will probably be in a minor point release.

However, it’s pretty easy to get things working with Scrivener+MMD3 using the Mac support installation package available from the MMD site, and will be more so easier in 2.1, which will have a toggle to turn off the “Format:complete” that Scrivener usually automatically inserts, and will let you drag and drop to re-order meta-data keys, since order is now important. Right now it is best to use a text file named “Meta-Data” at the top of your compile group. This way you can omit the format:complete, and order things as they should be.