Tables workaround

I’ve read enough threads here to realise that Scrivener can’t make up for Apple’s inadequate tables implementation, so I’m wondering if human scriveners might have a better workaround than I’ve found.

The table in question could be timelines, but I call it Parallel Chronology. It’s just 5 columns, one for dates and the others for 4 series of historical and fictional events. I played around with Bee Timeline and some graphical formats, but the table is the simplest and most flexible method I’ve found for what I want to do. I started it in NeoOffice before I had Scrivener, then copied the whole thing into Scrivener before I realised the limitations. I’m not confident working on the table inside Scrivener; I’m not happy working on my book outside Scrivener. Oh Woe!!

I’m comfortable enough with NeoOffice for most formatted work (it has an intelligent styles implementation which is a blessed relief after Word). My biggest beef, apart from its being outside Scrivener, is that it’s slow to open. However using it is the best way I can see to maintain my parallel chronology, and I’ll just have get used to swapping between applications.

Or is there another way?

Thanks

ghoti

Once you’ve created the table in another app, can’t you just copy and paste it into Scrivener? (Then copy-paste it out again to edit it?) Scrivener should be able to accept pasted-in tables; it’s just the poor support for editing tables in the standard text system that is the problem, I believe.
All the best,
Keith

Geez you’re quick Keith.

Yes I can copy and paste it into Scrivener. The difficulty is programming myself. I know that if it’s in Scrivener that’s where I’ll want to edit it (Scrivener feels like home: I’m even starting to avoid email these days) and I’m not sure I can trust myself to maintain a single copy if I allow myself the opportunity to edit in 2 apps.

I can live very comfortably swapping between 2 apps. I just wondered if there’s another way I could try.

Thanks for Scrivener Keith. Not only is it the most natural writing environment I’ve ever encountered; it makes me feel less alone in the way I think.

Ghoti