Tabs in the Editor

Many times I have to work on more than two items from the binder at once in the same session. Split’s no good for that. I want to move from one to another item quickly. I don’t want to compare them and see them at once. I just want to switch between them without having to remember which items were. I want to switch between items A, B, C, D and E without having to go look for the binder. I want to be focused on these items. I know I could select them and use the Scrivenings mode, but that would force me to go in search of the text. Moreover, these items are not always related, often have no relation into the draft. They are independent items. So I think it would be good to have tabs for the editor, one for each item. As was Ulysses 2. Is there another way to accomplish that?

At the top of the editor’s header bar, on the left, you will see navigation arrows which allow you to move backwards and forwards through the history. If you hold down the arrow icon or right-click on it, you will see a menu of your navigation history, so that you can quickly select the document you wish to display.

So all you have to do is open each of your documents A, B, C, D and E in turn, then jump easily between them by using the navigation arrows and associated history menu.

All the best,
Astrid

That allows me to see the history, fine. But I want to have just a few items and decide which are, for the entire session, no matter in what order or when I accessed them. In history there is too much noise.

The best solution I can think of to solve this is to create a collection with documents I want.

One setup that might work for you is this: Create a new collection that contains the documents you want quick access to (this is really quick and easy to do… just select them in the Binder, right click and then select the appropriate option in the menu that pops up). Then you have two options:

First, and simplest, is to have the Collection open in the Binder, and use that to quickly switch.

If, however, you still want to be able to view the Binder (perhaps you like to have a visual reminder of the whole manuscript), you can put the Editor into split screen mode (I suggest a vertical split), and open the Collection in Outliner mode in the Editor on the left. That split will then have just the list of documents you want easy access to in it and leave the Binder the way nature intended. If you then click the little two arrows button at the bottom of the Collection editor anything you select in the left Editor will automatically open in the other one.

You can also select different Outliner metadata to display (such as label, status and wordcount) to give yourself a kind of enhanced quasi-binder for your tabs.

As a last step, I’d consider saving this as one of your Layouts so you can quickly turn this mode on and off as you like.

Using a Collection like this has the added benefit of remembering what your ‘tabs’ were between sessions (but still being really easy to update).

You came up with it yourself before I got my post finished! :smiley:
Ah well, might as well leave it there now.

Thanks for your answers. I am testing this solution and think it will be enough. Although I think the tabs in the Editor were not a bad idea.:smiley:D

Keep in mind you can use View > Editor > Clear Document History before loading the items you want to work with, so the only documents in the navigation history will be the ones of interest, and you can use the Cmd-] and Cmd-[ shortcuts to jump through the history.

If you’re not using the split editor, you could also just temporarily gather the documents of interest in one split in outliner mode and lock that editor in place, then link it to the second editor with the ⇄ button in the footer so that when you select one of the documents in the outliner, it loads in the other editor. You could close the binder and reduce the size of the outliner split to be similar so the appearance is similar to just using the binder and single editor, but with only the documents of interest in the binder. If you save the normal layout and then the modified outliner-as-binder one (Window > Layouts > Manage Layouts…), you can set this up quickly in the future by just loading the documents you want in the outliner and then switching to the saved layout without needing to fiddle with the widths and so on.

Thank you, MM. I think this is the solution that I will use, although it is a little labored.