tag list and documentation for same

I’m encountering tags that are not listed in the Placeholder tag list within Scrivener. This list really needs to be exhaustive.

It would be very nice to be able to search the Placeholder tag list.

The documentation on tags, their structure, and how they are used, varies from good to :confused: :question: :confused: :question:.
I really think this particular aspect of Scrivener is the most vexing for someone new to the program. I’ve read the documentation, gone through the tutorials two and three times, and finally asked questions in the forums. I barely understand the answers, or even if I’m asking the questions correctly.

Yes, I know I’ll feel “gee, that was obvious!” when I finally get it, but I’m trying to write a novel (which Scrivener had made much easier). Spending days on figuring this out is not helping.

Are you referring to the “Placeholder Tags List” reference in the Help menu? That should be complete, so if you spot any missing tags in there, let us know which ones.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I haven’t been getting notified of replies to my posts because that option wasn’t checked in my profile. Not sure why, as I always ask for notification on every forum—must have been a “senior moment.” :unamused:

Yes, that’s the one. The main problem is understanding the tag syntax, structure and use. Basically, they look like code calling specific functions, but I don’t understand their syntax and structure. I’ve muddled through with experimentation, but it seems to me that some possible tags are present by implication, as if understanding the use of one tag implies understanding of a similar or related tag.

Basically, I’m asking for more extensive documentation and explanation.

Most of them are very simple, there isn’t a syntax or structure about them that requires you to understand a bunch of other things. For example the <$year> placeholder just causes the current year to be printed where you type it, like “2015”. That’s all it does, and it never does any more or less.

Some are a bit more complicated. One can build some rather elaborate numbering systems for example, or fetch data from other areas of the draft—but for novels, it would be very unusual to need more than the basics (if even any of them at all!). Remember for the basic numbering tokens you can use the Edit/Insert/Auto-Number/ sub-menu rather than memorising them or looking them up every time.