Tagging words/sentences/paragraphs in Scrivener for Windows ... A Bookmark Workaround?

L.S.,

I’m making progress with my first novel, but as was to be expected, looking back mid-travel I can spot things that need to be corrected.

I would like to be able to mark or tag the parts/words/sentences/entire scenes that need to be rechecked after my first draft is completed. Of course I can mark these parts with a coloured background, but that would mean I’d have to go over the entire novel manually to find them all.

Reading a bit more about it has shown me that Bookmarks would be what I’m looking for.

Only problem is, they’re not available yet in the Windows version of Scrivener.

I’ve tried looking at Comments, but only the ones of the document you are working on are shown. Is there a way to see all the Comments in all the documents? That would be a good work around for Bookmarks, right?

Any thoughts on this?

Scrivener 3 bookmarks are not how I’d go about that; they’re just links to other documents (internal to the project, external to the project, or even URLs for webpages). Bookmarks don’t drill down to specific words in a document.

I think what you really want is to use the “Status” metadata (seen in the inspector, and also visible in the outline view when you enable that column), and either inline annotations or inspector comments (I prefer these).

The Status will give you a high-level view of documents that need work; just create a set of statuses that make sense to you and then set them for each document as appropriate. Inspector comments then give you a per-document set of links to passages (words, phrases, sentences…) plus a place to note what you initially think the issue is with that passage.

Hi Rdale,

Thanks for your reply. I use these Status Metadata, to register if a certain document is completely finished or just a raw draft or somewhere in between. What I want however is not related to a complete document, but to specific parts.

A paragraph I’m not really happy with, that needs to be rewritten after other parts of the story are finished.
A name or a description of a location or person that might require revision later on.
An event that might have to be completely deleted.
A word that might need a capital letter, or not.
Etc. etc.

I actually think Comments work great with these issues. You could be right, maybe the Scrivener 3 Bookmarks aren’t what I’m looking for after all. Since I don’t have a Mac, I haven’t tried Scrivener 3 yet. You can link Comments to a whole paragraph, a word or just a single letter. Only thing missing is a total project overview. Or is there a way to get that operational? I was intrigued by a paragraph in the manual:
'Using notes as bookmarks: Clicking on a note will scroll the text editor to the position
that they appear in within the text. This means you can use notes as a form
of bookmark, or quickly jump through your text point-by-point to areas that need
addressing.’
It would be great if this would work on a project level, not just a document level.

I’m not seeing how this usage is in any way incompatible with using comments for individual passages within a document. Presumably, if a document is anything but ‘completely finished’, then that indicates that you may have (or need to make) comments on individual passages within. That’s all I’m talking about with regard to Status: Let it tell you if you can skip over a given document when looking for things to work on.

Unfortunately, due to a limitation of Scrivenings mode on Windows version 1, you can’t see comments for anything but the currently selected document, so this doesn’t work as you’d want it to. That’s why I was suggesting using status as in indicator that you might have comments to examine within that document.

There is something that isn’t quite as slick as inspector comments, but does give you search result that’s easy to jump from one problem passage to the next: Inline annotations.

With an inline annotation, you can prefix your own notes with an easily searchable string of characters, such as “TODO:” that won’t show up in the main text of your writing. Then you can use the project search function to search for “TODO:” and then save that search. This gives you a saved “collection” which only shows you documents with the search term in them, and it highlights the search term so you can easily pick them out while scrolling, or using the “Find Again” function (F3). The result set will shrink as you remove the inline comments (or change TODO: to something else).

I’m not saying it’s incompatible at all. I just meant that it wasn’t what I was looking for, and that it was something I was already using. But I understand that what I want (seeing Comments of the entire project) is just not possible, Rdale. And I get that using either the Status Metadata to quickly find documents that need working on, or the search function to find specific Annotations (I suppose this works with Comments as well?), provides a bit of a workaround. Thanks for those tips, I appreciate it!

After searching through the internet a bit more I’ve found that
‘To search through the project for annotations or comments, go to Edit, Find, Find by Formatting and then choose either Inline Annotation or Comment.’ writeforapples.com/2013/08/s … tions.html

That works even better! You don’t have to include a codeword like “TODO” in that scenario. And you don’t have to worry about labeling your documents as Drafts when they include Comments.

It would still be even better if you could actually see all the Comments of the entire project in one screen, but this is the next best thing, I guess.

Is there something new in Scrivener 3 that will fulfill my wishes?

Sorry to bump my own post, but oh my god, I’ve found the solution, and it was actually very simple :blush: :
writingforums.org/threads/s … ct.153774/
Just select the entire project, go to Scrivenings mode, and voila: all the Comments at your command! :smiley:

… except that you’ll find with Scrivener v1 for Windows, it only shows the comments & footnotes on the “active” document, instead of all the documents loaded into the editor in a “Scrivenings” session.

Scrivener 3 fixes this, showing you a stack of comments for the entire Scrivenings session.

Hmmm… It worked fine with me

I’m glad it shows all of the comments for all your documents in Scrivenings mode, but you must be running some other version than Scrivener version 1 for Windows. I noted that your platform is marked as iOS (which has no Scrivenings Mode), and you posted in the Windows section of the forums (release version… not the Beta release sub-forum), so I assumed you were using v1 for Windows, which doesn’t have that feature.

In the future, if you’re running the beta (or the Mac version), posting in the section of the forum specific to your version and computer platform will result in more accurate advice given. It can’t hurt to also update your profile to reflect all of the devices (Win/Mac/iOS) you use Scrivener on.

Happy Scrivenings. :slight_smile:

Ever so true, Robert :smiley:
I’ve taken my sweet time, but after another misunderstanding, I’ve finally updated my profile.