Taking a snap shot in tutorial crashes program[BUG LOGGED]

Hi.

I was walking through the tutorial and when I got the part that talks about taking a snapshot (5f) when I choose the command it completly crashes the program.

Testing Steps:

1. Start the tutorial.
  2. Go to 5f - Snapshots
  3. Click Documents | Snapshots | Take Snapshot

Program will completely crash wth message “Scrivener has completely stopped working”. Using the shortcut key of Ctrl+D has same results.

System Information:
Windows Vista 64-bit, Service Pack 2, plus current updates as of 10/27/2010
Sony Viao, T5800 2.00 GHz, 4 gig of RAM

Update:

I installed the Oct 29th update to the scrivener.exe and the program still crashes when taking a snapshot.

Christine

Hi Christine, thank you for the feedback. I have not been able to reproduce this issue; however, I do not have Vista 64 bit. Can you take snapshot elsewhere i.e. outside the tutorial in your own project/s?

Is there anyone else running Vista 64 bit that’s having the same issue with snapshots?

Same thing with me. I’m running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Windows 64 bit computer. Screen goes white and Windows error “looking for solution” message pops up.

The computer also doesn’t register the audio that’s supposed to be triggered by the snapshot.

I’ve installed the update–same thing happens. I’ve tried snapshots outside of the tutorial as well–results are the same.

The snapshot is recorded in the files–you can access it after rebooting Scrivener.

Hope this helps!

Kelli

Thanks for the feedback. I have logged this as a bug now.

Seen 12/6/10 running Beta 1.3 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Program Crashed
Windows launched ‘Search for a solution’ and found nothing.
Snapshot is in Snapshots folder.
Bug reproduced every time.

General and Detailed information from Application log for one of the crashes.
jimisen

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 12/6/2010 2:46:09 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: doug
Description:
Faulting application name: Scrivener.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4cd62807
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b29c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00033970
Faulting process id: 0x1a58
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb9592796507e3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9dc1094a-018a-11e0-b82a-f2bbda777188

• System

• Provider

[ Name] Application Error

• EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-12-06T22:46:09.000000000Z

EventRecordID 4530

Channel Application

Computer doug

Security

• EventData

Scrivener.exe
    4cd62807
    ntdll.dll
    4ba9b29c
    c0000005
    1a58
    01cb9592796507e3
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    9dc1094a-018a-11e0-b82a-f2bbda777188

In the tutorial it says:
“Take Snapshot” (Ctrl+D) in the Documents > Snapshots menu.
but ctrl+D does something else, creates a copy in the binder. It should say Ctrl+5 for snapshot

Still failing with Beta 026 - jimisen

Still crashing the program with Beta 029. Note that snapshots are being created successfully, however the program stops running and you must relaunch.

Still crashed with version 0.0.35. Ctrl-D causes program to crash. A new snapshot is in the 22.snapshot folder within the project Snapshots folder but Windows pops up a notice “Scrivener.exe has stopped working”
Still running Windows 7 x64.

Thanks for the report, though I’m sorry to hear it as Lee had really hoped some of the other changes would fix this. Neither he nor any of the team have been able to reproduce this crash, so he’s still working in the dark for a lot of it, but I’ll get this over to him and see if he’s got any ideas for further testing if you’re willing. Also, the shortcut should be Ctrl-5–Ctrl-D is a duplicate function. Did you change this in your custom settings, or was it a typo? I just want to make sure we’re definitely talking about the snapshot feature. I assume you get the crash whether you use a shortcut or the button in the inspector or the menu option?

I’ve had the problem for a while as well, as with the previous poster, I’m still having the issue. I’d be happy to test it as well if another data point would be helpful.

Windows Vista, SP2, 32 bit

We’re still having an impossible time trying to track down this issue, I’m afraid. Just so I’m clear, for those of you experiencing the crash when taking a snapshot, this happens:

• In every project, not just specific ones
  • Regardless of how you take the snapshot (Ctrl-5, Documents>Snapshot>Take Snapshot)
  • Whether or not you take a snapshot with a title
  • Whether taking a snapshot of a single document or multiple
  • Regardless of where the focus is (in the editor, in the binder, in the inspector, etc.)

If any of that is wrong would you kindly correct me? We’d really like to get this fixed but it’s been like searching for a needle in a haystack, with so few people experiencing this bug and no one in-house able yet to replicate it. :neutral_face:

I know that at least one user has still reported this issue in beta 049. There’s a new thread about the Snapshot crash here–if any of you are still getting this on the most recent beta, any information requested there that you have a chance to gather and send would be greatly appreciated!

Half asleep thought…if it’s windows 7/64 bit that’s also causing a problem, I should be able to install it on my fiance’s windows box and see if I can make it crash. I know he’s up to date on all sorts of DirectX and other things, since he games on it.