Tax on scrivener purchase?

Should there be tax on the Scrivener purchase? Usually these things are tax free unless you live in the state of the merchant. eSellerate’s web certificate is registered in Nebraska; I don’t know if they have businesses in Washington, where I live.

–rob

Are you saying you had to pay more than the $34.99? I know in the UK there is always a tax put on top when buying shareware from an American site. I can ask eSellerate, though. Let me know what you mean.
Thanks,
Keith

$3.08 on top of $34.99 for a grand total of $38.07.

Usually there’s no tax, like I said, if the seller isn’t in the same state as the buyer.

Thanks,
Rob

Curious. I have e-mailed eSellerate to see what they say, and will let you know. Obviously it is annoying for me, too, if users are having to pay above the advertised price (I am used to it in the U.K, and I expect non-U.S. customers are, too, but I would have expected that within the U.S. you wouldn’t have to pay over £34.99).
Thanks,
Keith

I’m in Wyoming, US, and wasn’t charged any tax when I bought it.

Any response from eSellerate?

–rob

Hi Rob,

Sorry, yes, I did get a reply. This is what they said:

Not entirely sure what all of this means, given that those living in England seem to be getting taxed and I would have thought they would be in my “nexus”, whereas some in the U.S. aren’t getting taxed. Weird.

Best,
Keith

The strange thing is that eSellerate seems to be the only US software reseller that adds a tax to the price. I paid a grand total of 34 Euros (28 Euros for Scrivener plus 19% German VAT). That’s fair enough, but other online stores like Kagi or SWREG do not charge taxes. I just looked through my purchase receipts for other other software I bought in the last couple of years, and only the programs sold through eSellerate and one I bought directly from a German company were taxed.

I really don’t know… I’ve e-mailed them again to query what they mean, so I will let you know sometime next week, when I hear back. I am a little baffled by this, too.
Best,
Keith

Thanks. It’s not a deal breaker by any means, but it just seemed a little odd.

–rob

Okay, this is the clarification I received from my (incredibly helpful) rep at eSellerate (thanks, Skip!):

So, soundnfury, are you in one of these states, perchance? That would explain it…

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Yes, I’m in Washington (which I’m sure they’ll get removed as soon as they get my payment!) Thanks again for checking, and thanks for such a great application,

rob