Technology cost and miniaturisation

Isn’t technological advancement amazing? I have just bought a regularly-priced magazine with a free computer on the cover! (Actually, I bought three, as stocking fillers for Christmas presents.)

The magazine: raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb … -magpi-40/

The computer: raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Who’s going to be the first to run Scrivener Linux on one?

:laughing:

Mr X

Can’t. Not intel. Or I would already be doing it.

D*** and B****! There I was wanting to commission you to set one up for me! :wink:

Oh well, the MBA will do me for a bit more, and I need to think how to get together the moolah to replace it with a MacBook.

:smiley:

Mr X

Does that mean that this Linux version doesn’t work, or that it’s not possible to get a non-Intel working compile out of Qt? Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for reducing the barriers of entry to writing.

scriv would need to be cross compiled to work on the device arch. This is the same problem with the win version and surface/view/

You have to remember that a “framework” is NOT an interpret like a JVM (Java Virtual Machine). The framework is just a pile of code that provides functions to reduce the need of a dev unit to custom develop code to preform tasks. The frameworks can do anything from provide standard communication protocols to make it simple to animate floating squares on a screen. QT provides a set of standard UI functions.

Hope that confuses things for you…

I’ve thought about offering a cross compile service but … there is a reason Lap isn’t doing it.

Why do you need to replace the MBA? I would think it does everything you need…

I’m pretty sure you’re agreeing with me, actually.

You jest. You must be…

The current builds will not work on non-intel processors.
A build could be made for non-intel processors.
It is not a QT problem.

You are agreeing with me. That was my point, exactly.

Actually, the MBA is pretty much working fine, but being a 2010 version, it has a pretty slow processor and only 2GB of non-upgradable RAM, so there are signs that it is struggling a bit with latest operating systems — though El Cap seems better than Yos from that point of view.

Also, and more irritating, after years of subtropical humidity and heat, I’m afraid sweat/grease/whatever from fingers left on the key caps has removed the anti-glare coating on parts of the screen.

And I fancy something as small and light with a great screen like the MacBook for taking around with me. iPad Air2 plus keyboard — I have a Logitech one — weighs more and is less easy to type on. Actually, I agree with Keith on MacBook being preferable for writing … and I have a little mobile hotspot, or I can tether my iPhone and use that for internet access … my iPad is Wifi only too!

Mr X

NO NO NO NO NO! I can not agree with you! On principal! Agreement would require the removal of all heat from the universe.

ARM? I wonder if/when there’s ever an android version of Scrivener, if it could be run on a Pi that way. (Of course, would require android virtualization/emulation, which will cut down on performance, etc.)

Android IS linux at the core (but with UI change, just like darwin is bsd). If you have the android libs installed and the OS tree matches, then, in theory, yes. But… no slackware base os…

And I think there is an android pie OS out there. used for set top type platforms. I believe that would be directly compatible.

I’ve kind of given up on pi. By the time you get is usable you can buy a full platform.

I thought Pis used a form of Ubuntu? Been awhile since I looked at them. Cool that they’ve got more choices. (Although I don’t think that there’s a Slackware ARM port being developed anymore.)

There are several ARM distros that can be used on pi. the default is debian based (ubutnu is just debian). There may be a slack version, but I don’t think the pi would be compile friendly. that said you can cross compile on an intel system to off load the effort.

You would have fun.

Heh, likely. Hell, I still need to get busy learning the arduino. I’ve had a kit for awhile that I haven’t touched. (Got an idea for a Puredata-based system using passive infrared to control musical events. There was a similar system for MAX/MSP, but I sure as hell don’t have the cash for licensing the language.)

I do a bit with AVR for fun. I found that the arduino package is nice, but the raw avr in c/c++ via eclipse was a bit more flexible (and predictable). If you need help let me know.

My project is a complete vehicle management system for my jeep (not a normal jeep) to allow on the fly tuning changes, nav integration (not roads, raw GPS) and lighting control. hope to eventually wrap it into an electric motor controller and move to an all e vehicle.

Way cool! Yeah, I’ll likely pick your brain in the future. I also need to get off my ass and learn puredata for real. I’d rather make things than go through tutorials, however.