Template Issue

Hi guys, just downloaded Scrivener for my Macbook as I am most keen to use it for my novel. However, I seem to be having some problems.

Whenever I try and open a new Fiction Template, Scrivener just sits there with the roundabout icon spinning constantly, but never actually doing anything. I give the new template a name and location and click “choose” and it just sits there with the icon spinning.

I have tried a re-install from the App Store but nothing seems to make a difference. Has anyone ever experienced this problem before?

Cheers,
Sisko

Does creating a new project using the “Blank” template work fine? If so, it might be a problem with Zip file decompression. Templates are zipped to save space and make them easy to share or transfer between computers. If your machine is having difficulty unzipping files, the first thing I would try is rebooting. Sometimes the built-in unzip tool can get jammed up and that is all you need to do to clear it.

If that doesn’t work, you may want to try using a system maintenance tool like Onyx to clear system caches and reboot again.

If that still doesn’t work, we might have to do some more digging. There was a problem last year with sandboxing (a restricted environment that Mac App Store programs must adhere to) and unzipping, but this has been fixed for some time now, so it is unlikely you are using that version since you mentioned having just purchased.

Its bizarre, when I try and start a blank project, the interface menu for Scrivener disappears!! The application remains open as I have “Scrivener” displayed next to the Apple logo in the top right of the screen, but whenever you try and click any of the menu options, you don’t get any response from either.

I then have to force quit out of the application and have had to do this all the time when it fails to open a fiction template and just has the pinwheel spinning all the time. I have downloaed Onyx and done a system clean and reboot but this has not changed anything. Also yesterday I tried a fresh re-install from the Mac App Store and still no joy. Its a shame as I am quite looking forward to using Scrivener but can’t get anywhere with it yet haha!! Keep calm as they say!! :slight_smile:

Just did an additional un-install and re-install from the Mac App Store but it hasn’t made a difference. Rather disappointing this isn’t working considering the £31 I paid for it.

Can’t seem to see where this is going wrong or how to solve it :frowning:

Could you please download the version from our website ( literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php ) and see if that works fine for you? (It should recognise you as a registered user.) Both should work the same, but if the one on our site works fine and the one on the MAS doesn’t, then there may be some sandboxing errors going on on your machine, and it helps isolate the issue.

Before doing that, though, could you please open Console.app (from /Applications/Utilities) and see if any errors get output there when you try to open a project?

One other thing to check is that you haven’t got SCFinderPlugin installed - this can play havoc with a lot of apps:

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … nderplugin

Please rest assured that (1) this is not the normal experience of running Scrivener, so something specific must be going on on your machine here, and (2) we’ll get you up and running. :slight_smile:

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Ahhh many thanks for your suggestion Keith, downloading it from the website direct and then running the template it works fine within seconds!!

So, if it wasn’t working through the Mac App Store version, where is the problem on my machine, what should I look for? :slight_smile:

I had a look at the console error messages like you suggested. I re-installed the Mac App Store version after using Scrivener successfully from the website.

Same problem, it still refuses to run with a novel template and the error messages that console is throwing up is regarding “Error 423 Deny network-outbound /private/tmp/es”

There are other logs, but nothing really error related. Nothing seems to stand out as to why it doesn’t work through the Mac App Store version, yet works fine in the version from your website. I thought it might have something to do with me denying the program permission to send out diagnostic logs, but when I then allowed this right, it didn’t make a difference.

Really not sure what it could be haha I only know the version from the website works fine! :slight_smile:

EDIT: I also don’t have the scfinder plugin installed.