Template

hello,
I wrote my project on a blank template and now, 60K words in, I think it would have been better in the Novel template. Can I change it now and how do I do that?
Thanks
Hetty

Is there something in the Novel template that you want in yours? If it’s only one or two items, then it might be easier to just create them in your existing project.

If, however, you really want to start over with a project created from the Novel template, start by creating a new project from that template. Clear out any extra example chapters. Then with both projects open at the same time, select all the documents in the binder of the ‘blank’ project and drag them into the binder of the ‘novel’ project.

Thanks Robert.
Two things: the character templates and the ability to get the manuscript ready to be published, whatever I decide that form might be: Kindle, print…
Hetty

The compile pre-settings, which depend on the nesting of scene documents under chapter folders (or just a bare list of chapter documents if you don’t sub-divide them into multiple scenes), can be accessed from any project. Just look for “Novel” in the names of the presets when you bring up the Compile window (File->Compile then click the Format As drop-down list). No matter what template you start from, they’re just starting points, as you probably have your own specific needs, so you’ll choose a preset that gets you pretty close to what you want and tweak from there.

The character templates can be copied over as I described before; just create a “junk” project from the template, then drag over the Characters folder and the Templates folder. Click on Templates and go to Project->Set Selection as Templates Folder. Then select the Characters folder in the binder and go to Documents->Set New Default Subdocument Type and under there will be the character sketch template. Select it, and then when creating new documents in the Characters folder, it will automatically create a copy of that file instead of just a blank file.

In writing, that looks like a lot of work, but once you do it, and understand what each step does, you can easily set up your own templates and default document types for other folders. It’s a pretty nifty feature that’s well worth getting to know how to do from scratch, as I find the feature more useful than the example templates themselves.