Text and Folder Separator page break glitch

I have a project laid out in the format:

[folder] CHAPTER TITLE
–> [page] (within said folder, as are the next two)
–> [page]
–> [page]
[folder] NEXT CHAPTER TITLE

What I want is a page break before each chapter title when I compile the PDF.

When I set “Text and Folder Separator” to some random string of characters to see where it puts it, it looks like it should work. It puts the random string right before each chapter title, and not after.

But when I set it to “Page Break” I get a page break before the chapter title, but I also get it after the chapter title, so what I get is a page with the chapter title on it all by itself and the rest of the page blank before the text starts on the next page.

Is there some way I can get it not to do that?

I can’t reproduce this. Have you ensured that the Folder/Text separator (second from the bottom) is set just to “empty line” and not “page break”? This is the one determining the divider between folders and the following text documents.

I absolutely have ensured the second option from the bottom is just set to empty line. In fact, all three of the first options are set to empty line, and the last is set to page break. And this ends up with blank pages with just [chapter title] on them, at the start of the next chapter.

What’s more, I tried generating the PDF from the same Scrivener project under the latest Scrivener Linux version and it did exactly the same thing. I suppose it’s possible I may have some other setting somewhere else set incorrectly, and it affects this somehow. Weirdly, it just seems to be affecting this one project–I ran a test on another project, and it seemed to work fine on that one. It’s really annoying, because this option would do exactly what I want, but it’s just not working right.

If you want, I can make the project folder available for your perusal via a Dropbox public link. Maybe you can see if I’m doing something wrong or something’s glitched somewhere?

You can zip and send a copy of the project to windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com and I’ll take a look. Before you do that, double-check also that you don’t have “page break before” set on any of your documents–it’ll be easy to check in the Contents list in Compile–and also turn on Format > Options > Show Invisibles and check in the editor itself for a blue line running across the top in the first scene of each chapter or in the chapter folder. It could be a page break got unintentionally inserted here and is causing the problem, though it’s odd that you’d have it exactly the same for each chapter. Given though that your other projects compile correctly with the same settings, it definitely sounds like there’s something peculiar to this project causing the glitch. Did you in fact use exactly the same compile settings, i.e. did you use the “Save Preset” button in compile to save the settings as a compile format and then select that format in another project?

OK, that’s really weird. I exported my compile format from another project and imported it into this one, and it worked. I still don’t know what was set differently, but I’m not going to complain as long as it works how I want it to.

Mysterious! That wouldn’t affect the “page break before” settings, either. I wonder if it was just a matter of having a lot of empty returns added in formatting, perhaps an unintentional title suffix. Anyhow, I’m glad it’s working for you now!

Hello,

I’m having the same problem. The compile settings are newly created and not imported from another project. The problem occurs either when using the '‘Seperators’ menu in the compile confoguration or with the “page break before” checkbox.

Greetings,

Mela

Hi Mela,

Could you send a zipped copy of the project showing this problem to windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com? That would be the fastest way to analyze this problem, since we could see the full compile settings and the binder structure and then replicate the problem–as you’ll have seen earlier in this thread, we were having trouble reproducing the issue, so weren’t able to find a solution. If you send the project, put ATTN: Jennifer in the subject and a link back to this thread so whoever gets it will know to pass it on to me. Thanks!