Text Clipping Import

Hi there,

I couldn’t find a request for this: It would be great for Scrivener to support drag-importing of text clipping files.

What do you meann by “text clipping files”?
Thanks,
Keith

These are created by the system when you select some text and drag it to the desktop. Finder creates a special file type that contains the text dragged out. It isn’t like an ordinary text file, for whatever reason, though. Path Finder creates regular RTF files, by the way.

Oh, right, I know those. Weird format though - even TextEdit can’t open them. Dunno about this one. If it’s easy, maybe, though I don’t see there will be much demand for them.

I just took a closer look at one, and it appears that everything is stored in the resource fork. I’d tend to agree on its low priority though. These things are a hold-over from OS Classic days (hence the resource fork). I’m surprised they haven’t taken the same route that Path Finder has already.

Okay, this one is a “no”, I’m afraid. I just looked into it and found this post from the Cocoa developer’s list archive:

cocoabuilder.com/archive/mes … /5/3/12015

The guy answering the question, Douglas Davidson, is one of the Apple text system gurus. He is responsible for programming a lot of the Apple Cocoa text system (including, I believe, the tables that appeared in text views in Tiger). So if he can’t think of an easy or good way of doing it other than “you might be able to do something with AppleScript”, then there’s not much hope for the rest of us. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

I don’t understand this discussion. Scrivener imports and exports text clippings just fine, just like any other application that uses the Cocoa text system. Drag some text from TextEdit or HBN or any web browser to the desktop, and it will generate a text clipping. (It even works with Firefox for some reason.) Drag it into a Scrivener text field, and it will be imported as formatted text.
I don’t know what Douglas Davidson is talking about :slight_smile: Or did I misunderstand the problem the original poster is having?

Hmm… I think the original poster wanted to be able to drop the clippings into a binder rather than into the text, which is different. However, given that what you describe works, things must’ve changed since 2002 (when that post was created) and Apple must have added some support for importing clippings as attributed strings…

I believe it is because the creation of clippings is up to whatever is handling the Desktop, and not the originating program. The Desktop gets a drop of text and it handles it accordingly. The only requirement is that the originating program have the capability of dragging a selection of text.

What would be extremely useful, however, would be the ability to drag selected text from anywhere - including Scrivener itself - to the binder; and thereby create a new note named for the first line of the text. Several apps (Devonthink, Tinderbox etc) seem to handle this easily and I very much miss the feature in Scrivener.
It would also provide an alternate (to my mind more convenient) way to split up documents.

I’m in the habit of dragging text to the desktop from open docs–usually web pages.

OS X makes these into text clipping files.

You’re right, Text Edit doesn’t open them–BUT if a text edit doc is open, I CAN drag a text clipping file into that window and the text appears.

I can also drag the text into an input form in Safari, for example.

I suppose this is of most interest to me because I’m pulling some projects from OmniOutliner to Scrivener, and there’s no easy way to maintain the ontline format except by dragging things over one thing at a time. And dragging straight from Omnioutliner doesn’t work.

As far as I know, this has always been the intended usage for clippings. They were never meant to be real files – more like a way of storing multiple clipboard entries for a while.

As for importing from OmniOutliner, if I were you I would export whatever you want from OO as one long RTF file and then import it into Scrivener that way. You can then use the “Split…” methods in the Edit menu to break down the file into smaller chunks again. I wouldn’t take the clippings route.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith
P.S. Like the Dawkins quote. :slight_smile:

Depending on your file, you could also try using the MutliMarkdown export from OmniOutliner and then importing back into Scrivener as a MultiMarkdown document. This would not copy RTF formatting, but should copy all of your text (not images), and retain the hierarchy of your outline.

Maybe I’m not understanding your work method here, but … rather than dragging text from a web page or other app to the desktop, wouldn’t it be a lot easier to select the text you want and then hit “Create New Clipping from Selection” (either from the Services menu or a keyboard shortcut) to get the text into Scrivener? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding the process.