Text -Folder

.I don’t know why I did it this way, BUT . . .
I have the name of the novel as a text as well as all (so far) 60+ chapters.
I’m realizing or thinking that I would be better served having at least the title as a folder.
It shows the title to the left with a downward arrow.
Indented all the way down are the chapters which when I click the arrow go under the title.
How can I change the top or the title Text to a folder.

I’m also thinking or realizing that at least temporarily some of the chapters may be bette for now as folders so
I could place text under them to use for notes and have side by side as I write.

I’m struggling to explain this. Does it make sense to anyone? I’m not even sure I understand.
Bottom line - I guess - how to change the hierarchy or structure from text to folder (with icon)

Documents → Convert → To Folder/To File.

Or right-click on the item and choose the same command from the context menu.

Scrivener doesn’t care, though. Files and folders have different default behaviors, but there’s nothing you can do with one that you can’t do with the other.

Katherine

Thank you.
I saw that I can do that with the files or chapters indented under the one with Novel title.
I guess you’d call it the parent, but that top one has that option grayed out???

For one thing, I thought I’d try keeping notes in Outliner and refer to them side by side with a particularly troublesome chapter, but I’m unable to write in Outliner. It has nothing in it except the chapter title at the top. I saw something that referred to clicking on the “folder” in Outliner, and since it was not a folder, I thought I should convert.

Can I at least place another file (text) within one and have it indented so it will be identified or linked with (or within) it.

The very top level folder is one of three special folders in Scrivener: Draft, Research, and Trash. These folders can be renamed, but they cannot be deleted or converted to ordinary files.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu. It’s a good overview of how the Scrivener interface works. In particular, opening a single document in Outline view doesn’t show you anything because you’re “inside” the Outline as it were. Move up one level in the Outline for more useful results.

You can nest files (or folders) inside each other by dragging and dropping or with the Documents → Move To command.

Katherine