Text in one folder duplicating in another

This morning I realized my word count had jumped dramatically and chapter 9 was extremely long. I save each chapter as a folder. Everything I type into chapter 10 is also being added to chapter 9. I found where the duplication began and deleted it, but then it completely deleted chapter 10’s content, but not the folder. I used undo to get it back, but now I’m not sure what to do.

Other than this new bug, I love the program. Being able to pull up bios and pictures of characters right beside the manuscript has made a huge difference in my work.

Pfew, lucky lucky you quickly found out! :unamused: :slight_smile:

I’m having a hard time trying to imagine what might be going on behind the scenes causing this sort of duplication; it’s not something I’ve ever heard of happening before. From your description, it sounds like the two files weren’t complete copies of each other, i.e. chapter 10 and chapter 9 each had unique elements, even though some of the text from 10 was copied into 9? How and where did you select and delete the duplicate text?

If possible, could you send a copy of the project to windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com with a reference to this forum post? That would likely allow us to more easily see what’s going on and be able to ensure that the internal links and so forth within the project folder are correct. To do this, just right-click the project’s .scriv folder and choose “Send to \ Compressed (zipped) folder”, then attach that to your email and indicate which files in the binder are the problematic ones.

I suspect Chapter 9 has become Chapter 10’s parent, and is being edited, unknowingly, in Scrivenings mode.

– Jerome

Oh, brilliant thought, that’s probably exactly what happened. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Terriebittner, do you see a dashed line between the text of chapters 9 and 10? That would be one indication of viewing a Scrivenings session, i.e. having multiple documents loaded in the editor. Check also in the binder to see if the chapter 10 file is indented to the right of the chapter 9 file above it; that would make it a child of the chapter 9 file, which you can correct by selecting it and pressing Ctrl+LeftArrow (that will bump it back out to be the same level as chapter 9). Finally, another way to see if you are in Scrivenings mode is by the three viewmode icons in the centre of the main toolbar. If the leftmost icon shows a stack of three sheets of paper and is highlighted in yellow, you’re in Scrivenings mode with multiple documents loaded in the editor. In the case where you’ve selected a parent file in the binder and are viewing it and its children as a composite, you can click this icon to toggle to single document mode and view the text of only the selected document (excluding its children). If the item selected in the binder doesn’t have any children, the Scrivenings mode icon won’t be available and it will just be a single sheet of paper in the picture instead.