Text Layout panel blank

I’m reading through the manual to learn more about compiling my (finally finished) rough draft. In 24.5 Text Layout, it says:

This is where a few general decisions about the overall layout of the document
can be made, and as such it presents different options depending on the file type
you are working with. This panel is available to all file types except Final Draft
and Fountain.

Except, for me, that panel is blank.

Is this me doing something incorrectly? Or is this a bug?

On the Mac side the Text Layout panel shows this for target file format ODT:

That’s definitely showing me more than I have in v3 for Windows. I’ll try setting my theme back to defaults to see if that’s part of the problem or not.

ETA: Nope. Still blank. I’ll root around and see if it’s another option in the compile affecting it.

If look in the format designer your output is set to ODT, if use a different output then options are available like PDF. Do you want to output to ODT??

I played with that setting a little and I do see more options, depending on the format. And, yes, I do want ODT output. (I’m still having trouble getting my header turned off and I usually need to edit the footer to my liking.)

:grinning:

View>Editor layout gives options to remove editor header or footer or just go to composition mode if want to remove distractions.

Sounds like something Scrivener should be able to handle for you.

Could you elaborate: which Header, which footer?

I am unable to have a page-break at my ‘chapters’ AND no header. The “new page” makes a section and gets separate headers – which means I have to turn each one off manually. Ugh! So, I figured I must be doing something wrong… but so far, the only way I could ‘fix’ it was to pad the beginning with a handful of lines and don’t add page breaks at chapters. (This is still a rough draft, but I’m trying to learn the compile process so I’ll be ready for the final draft!)

I have emptied all 6 blank areas for headers and footers and the compile still adds them. I cannot find any checkbox that explicitly says “no headers”. :thinking: I’ve been through the manual, tried searching these forums (I miss the old forum…) and have searched the web thinking this should be possible, so I must be missing something.

Right. Do your chapters have a Section Type called ‘Chapter’ or something similar?
Do your sections have a Section Type called ‘Sections’ or ‘Scene’ or something similar?
Check the General Metadata for your Binder items in the Inspector’s Metadata Tab.
Don’t these Section Types exist? Create them in Project > Project Settings > Section Types > Section Types.

In the Compile Overview (File > Compile…) double click your Format to open the Compile Format Designer (check the Window title). In the Section Layout page, check for a Section Layout called ‘Chapter’ and one called ‘Section/Scene’. Don’t these Section Layouts exist? Create them using the plus-sign icon at the top right of this window. Make sure only the ‘Title’ Content Type checkbox is checked for the ‘Chapter’ Section Layout and only the ‘Text’ Content Type checkbox is checked for the ‘Section/Scene’ Section Layout.

Select the Section Layout for the Chapter in the list at the top right. Click the Separators tab in the menu on the left. In the Section Layouts list in the middle, select your ‘Chapter’ Section Layout. May sure ‘Use default separators’ is unchecked. Select ‘Single Return’ at ‘Separator before sections’ and Select ‘Page Break’ at ‘Separator between sections’. ‘Override separator after’ should be unchecked.

Select the Section Layouts tab again and the Section Layout for the ‘Section/Scene’ in the list at the top right. Click the Separators tab in the menu on the left. In the Section Layouts list in the middle, select your ‘Section/Scene’ Section Layout. May sure ‘Use default separators’ is unchecked. Select ‘Single Return’ at ‘Separator before sections’ and Select ‘Empty Line’ at ‘Separator between sections’. ‘Override separator after’ should be unchecked.

Click ‘Page Settings’ at the menu on the left. In the ‘Headers and Footers’ area, click the Options tab and uncheck all boxes. In the Header and Footer Text tab you should only see ‘Main body’ in the list on the left and the six textboxes on the right. Clear them all.

Click Save

Now click ‘Assign Section Layouts…’ button in the middle of the Compile Overview windows.
In the dialog the appears, click your ‘Chapter’ Section Type on the left and click the ‘Chapter’ Section Layout on the right. Do the same for your ‘Section/Scene’ Section Type and your ‘Section/Scene’ Section Layout.

Now click Compile and check the results… You should have Page Breaks between your chapters and Empty Lines between your Section/Scenes. There should be no Headers or Footers in the results.

Hope this helps

FWIW: I also see an empty tab page at the Text Options menu item in the Compile Format Designer with the .ODT File Type selected.

1 Like

Such a clear explanation Antoni. you should consider writing a book. (wink wink :wink:)

2 Likes

This post right here should get marked as “very helpful”!

Once I have actual chapters, this sounds do-able. Currently, each scene is a text file directly under the “Draft” folder. I’ve got a couple potential chapter breaks that should let me play around with what you’ve written here. Thanks!