Text on cover

Is there an easy (cheap) wat to get the title of my book on the cover of my kindle Ebook? I presume it can be done with Photoshop but I don’t have Potoshop. Apple Pages wont save in a format that I can use. I have Comic life but that isn’t right. What is a cheap way to do this or is it necessary? Other kindle books I down seem to have titles on the cover.

Hi,

You can use The Gimp, which is a free, OpenSource Photoshop clone:

gimp.org/

Or, for $49.99 there’s Acorn, which is a very nice Photoshop alternative built especially for the Mac:

flyingmeat.com/acorn/

Or, for only $29.99, there’s Pixelmator:

pixelmator.com/

I’ve never tried Pixelmator, so I have no idea what it’s like, but it’s consistently riding high on the Mac App Store.

All the best,
Keith

The Gimp is the cheapest alternative (being free) and is wonderfully full-featured. I can recommend it. I’ve used it on Linux and Windows with equal ease. It also comes with documentation and there is plenty of extra support available on the 'net.

I have Pixelmator, which I’m trying to get used to. I think it’s pretty powerful, but I haven’t managed to “tame” it yet. So generally, when I’ve got work on images to do and don’t want or have time to be messing about, I use Graphic Convertor. Also not outrageously expensive and very powerful.

I’ve thought about The Gimp. I guess if you’re used to using Windows and Linux software, it may be intuitive, but generally I find apps like OpenOffice and SpiderOak, which are essentially ports with the alien interface, somewhat frustrating. But everyone’s mileage varies.

Mark