Text Template?

I am wondering if it is possible to create a custom text template and that opens each time one selects “New Text” or hits the green plus symbol? Both the Character Sketch and the Setting Sketch can be edited and used as a template, would love to be able to do the same with the text template.

When working on professional documents there are often repeated formatting and content, it would be great to set that as a template…or when working on a manuscript, there is often a set of considerations or questions I ask myself as I draft a scene and it would be great for those to appear by default at the top of a new text document.

I see that there is a “Document Template” feature, but as I understand it that is not the same as the “text template.”

Now I cut and paste, which is easy, but wonder if there is another way to do this. Thanks.

I don’t know about this “text template” you mentioned, but a Document Template is exactly what you want. Did you know you can set a folder/container to have a document template be it’s default? Click on a folder and navigate to Documents->Default New Subdocument Type and choose what document template you want to be created when you use the standard “new document” shortcuts (hitting Enter in the binder, CMD-N).

Or, if you put your Document Template at the top of the template folder, then you can use the shortcut shown next to it in Project->New From Template.

And finally, if you want to reassign keyboard shortcuts, Mac OS X has ways of doing that too, so you could assign a specific shortcut, or even the CMD-N shortcut, to that template by name.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Can a document template contain specific text that will always be present upon opening?
A simple example would be the memorandum format; a more complex example would be a federal appellate pleading.

Absolutely. Just create a document as you want it to appear when you use the Project->New From Template menu (or the toolbar button, or you’ve set the default new subdocument type for the containing folder…), put it in the templates folder, and you’ll get that with the new document.

Documents created via document templates are just copies. You could put any kind of file in a Templates folder and create duplicates through the various Document Templates interfaces (menus, buttons, default subdocuments…). It wouldn’t be very useful for GIF files, or PDFs (not usually), but you can still do that if you like.

I figured out the answer to my own question and it was much simpler than what I was asking. Let me try and explain. My manuscript is structured simply: folders as chapters, scenes as text files within the folders. When I start a new scene in my manuscript (add new text) I have a series of questions I ask myself before I start writing: What is the purpose of this scene? What is driving this scene? What is the conflict? What is the change?

I wanted these questions to appear at the top of the page each time I added a new text file and I wanted the entire scene to be in “manuscript format”. The solution was very easy. I simply created a text file with those questions written at the top and with the formatting I desired; named it “My Text Template”; and dragged it into the “Template Sheets” folder.

Then I highlighted the “Manuscript” folder in the Binder and selected my new “My Text Template” under the Document menu so that it is the new default when I hit the add button (Documents > Default New Subdocument Type > My Text Template).

I am pretty sure this is what you were explaining, but not until I figured it out for myself did I get it. Maybe this will help others.

Great! I’m glad you were able to work it out despite my help. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: If I may make a suggestion: Move your questions into the Document Notes of the inspector for your document template. That way, the questions & answers won’t affect your word counts, and you can leave it all there as long as you want.

Alternately, mark the questions in your main text area using Format->Inline Annotation, and check the “Remove inline annotations” checkbox in the Compile window’s Footnotes &Comments section. That way, you can leave the questions in place all the way through the final edit if you like.

Good idea. I have tended to just write over them–they are just there to trigger thought before I start drafting, but maybe it would be valuable to preserve the answers. Could I have the questions appear on the index card as part of the text template? That way my scene synopsis would have this information in an easily viewed placement.

I have not used Inline Annotation at all. Another feature to explore.

Love your help!

Sure, you could put it into the synopsis. Note that you only get plain text, no variation in font, no bold, italics, or underline, no tab stops. You can insert newlines though; hold down OPT when you hit Return to do so.

If you expand the synopsis to be large enough, it might work, but I’ve found that synopses are only really useful for one to two sentence’s worth of info before the text has trouble fitting in cork board views. You’ll probably be better off writing a sentence that summarizes the answers to your scene questions for the synopsis, once you’ve worked those answers out.

Who are you that is so wise in the ways of Scrivening?

Thanks again.

Oh dear. Oh dear. This is bad. Very bad.

You know the signs at the parks that read “do not feed the animals”? You just fed one. Now it will follow you home.

Nonsense! I’m no animal.

gnaws on Jasen’s head

I’m not sure who that is… but he may want his head unmolested.

Hey, it’s hard to enunciate with a maw-full, JaYsen.
crunch

I’ve been told that there wasn’t much in there so it shouldn’t add too much to the hips…

If you find my memory, please send it back.