Text Trash

As appreciation of Ulysses (Mac writing program, silly) is no stranger here, I was going to suggest emulating its valuable feature, Text Trash. Then I realized I could duplicate this function in Scrivener with Keyboard Maestro. I set up a KM macro to cut selected text, open Project Notes (where I have open a document called “TextTrash”), and paste the text along with a divider of some kind after, and then return to the editor which takes me back to where I started. Works great. So even though I now have Text Trash in Scrivener, I bet others would find such an in-house feature valuable.

Snapshots are wonderful, but a bit much for keeping track of a sentence or paragraph here and there that one might want to retrieve.
Append to a document set aside for the purpose - or cut and paste into a Note in Project Notes - works but is a bit roundabout (and tedious for those who have managed to perform a similar function with a simple keystroke).

I think there’s something like that in “Papyrus Author”: It’s a permanent corkboard of some kind where you just drag and drop text parts that you marked. They appear next to your text in little boxes. So you can “park” text there that you might need later again. Such a function would be great in Scrivener indeed… Everything else would just be a workaround.

Best regards,

Christian

No plans for anything specific in this regard, but one thing you can do is just set up a folder for this, then drag any text you want into it - select text in a document and dragging the selected text to the binder will create a new document containing just that text. Then just delete the original. I know it’s not a single keyboard stroke, but it’s impossible to provide every feature that every single user wants, and this is pretty close.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

sounds great, that would be the next best thing. However, I just tried it, and it didn’t work! I selected text with the mouse and tried to drag it. However, as soon as I clicked and wanted to hold the mouse button, it selected a new portion of text (where the cursor just was). I tried hitting the selection only, next to the selection, above and below - didn’t work, just selected new text. What’s going on here? Anything wrong with my mouse driver maybe?

OS X 10.6.8, Logitech mouse.

Best regards,

Christian

Make sure you click and hold a second before you try to drag, so the cursor changes from the insertion point to an arrow. I used to have that issue all the time when I first learned about dragging text and couldn’t figure out why everyone thought it was so fabulous since it seemed darn near impossible to do.

Of course it could be your mouse and that might just have been one of my stellar moments.

That worked… Great, thanks! I was too impatient, I guess… :wink:

Well, that really is nice… I’ll just have to think of a folder structure that complements this kind of “text parking”… However, document notes seem to be a good place as well… The parked text is still connected with the original document, AND it’s still selected and can be deleted with a keystroke. When I create a new document by dragging to the binder, the text is selected in grey and can’t be deleted with just another keystroke.
On the other hand, separate documents can be easily named and sorted, whereas in the document notes, it’s harder to keep order when you do that stuff a lot… We’ll see how it ends… :wink:

Best regards,

Christian