TextExpander Issue?

Before I call it a Scrivener bug, I thought I’d ask around:

I’m using TextExpander to AutoFill names of characters in the Screenplay template. When I do, they automatically jump out of the CHARACTER tab setting, and flush left. Which is obviously annoying.

Any TextExpander users out there found this to be the case?

Sounds as though TextExpander is adding its own text attributes that are overriding the Scrivener ones… If it just added it as plain text, it should work fine, so it sounds like a TE issue to me (offhand and without testing, though).
Best,
Keith

P.S. Out of interest, why don’t you use Scrivener’s own auto-fill features? Edit > Edit Auto-Complete List… allows you to add your own auto-completion words on a project basis.

TextExpander has a plain text mode, which in theory should not be mucking with Scrivener’s styles; however it is not the default. It is likely that is all that is happening here. I use Typinator, which has a default of plain text, and it works just fine with script mode–though with character names, if I have not capitalised the name in Typinator, it will be mixed case in Scrivener once expanded. Incidentally, this happens when you use mixed case names in Scrivener’s auto-complete too. Whatever is trapping keystrokes and converting them to upper-case must not be trapping whatever method it is these programs are using to “type.”

Thanks to both of you – set TE to plain text and all is well.

Reason 1: I have a big list of commonly misspelled words (not to mention a bunch of character names) already set up in TE, so it was just easier to go with that.

Reason 2: I did, at one point, disable TE and tried to use Scriv’s Auto Complete, but I think I’m doing something wrong – the only way I could get it to work was to access the list using the hotkeys, and then scroll down the list and hit return. I have way too many characters to do that every time someone talks. Should Auto-Complete actually pop the name onto the page after a few letters? If so, I’d rather use that.

P.S. Amber, I noticed the same capitalization issue as well – but since I really only use Auto-Complete in Character , it doesn’t really bother me.

Auto-complete just uses Apple’s way of auto-completing, so you basically just type the first couple of letters and then hit opt-Escape or cmd-period. So yeah, you have to hit the keyboard shortcuts for it to work, unfortunately.
Best,
Keith

Keith:

Nothing “unfortunate” about it – in fact, I actually think that full-blown auto-complete along the lines of TE et al. is more than Scrivener should do.

TE is fine and feature-rich, but it’s a little buggy. So is Final Draft’s auto-complete feature, for that matter (buggy? FD? Shocking!) Strikes me that adding this to Scrivener would be one more thing that can go wrong.

I say leave well enough alone – screenwriters and playwrights* can live with TE and the rest. Or, God forbid, we can write out character names like people have been doing for centuries.

Best,

S

*Why is this word not “playwrites”?

Because the term ‘wright’ means ‘maker’ or ‘builder.’ So a wainwright makes wagons, and a playwright makes plays.

Oh, the pain… One of my novels was set during the War of the Spanish Succession. At the time I was using Word and set up Auto Complete (or Auto Correct… don’t remember the term) so I wouldn’t have to keep typing all those battle names. I mean, how many ways are there to misspell ‘Ramillies’ or ‘Oudenarde’? The answer was getting to be exponential before I set up the Auto thing… :laughing:

Auto-Correct (of whatever flavor) is your friend. :smiley:

Khadrelt: Thanks for the info. I probably should have known that. =-)

Studio: Ouch! Okay, you’re excused. Auto-Correct away. (P.S. Your post gave me a sudden rush of anxiety for the challenge writers like Tolstoy had to face.)

Huh, I always thought it was playwrite. You learn something new every day…

I was having problems with unicode characters with TE in some cases. At the same time I had Quicksilver crashing 4 times per day.

My solution has been to re-discover Butler, which can function both as a launcher and a basic script-runner (the things I was using QS for – no arguments allowed though) and allows you to save paste-boards, convert them to plain text, refer to them by name or custom abbreviation, and define custom triggers.

Maybe 20 minutes of work and I had all my snippets (just a few dozen) saved as Butler pasteboards and I retired QS and TE for the present time. I’m sure the true QS or TE power user won’t be happy with this…

Bryce

I thought the same thing until spellcheck told me I was wrong. Can it be that I’ve gone this long on the planet without typing that word into a computer?

I know productivity guy Merlin Mann swears by QS, and lots of people have good things to say about Butler, but I’ve always found them both to be a little more than I need. I feel like they both add another layer to OS X that I don’t really need.

In the spirit of No Arguments Allowed, I totally understand that my failure to embrace stuff like QS and Butler are, in fact, my failings, and not the fault of these well made and no doubt time saving apps.*

*Although I do feel like I have a couple of friends who have used up all their saved QS time trying to convince me I should try it.

That said, according to TextExpander, I’ve saved almost three hours by not writing out names. Let’s see, three hours of my life returned to me… and one cigarette costs me one minute of my life… divided by twenty cigarettes a pack…

As a Brit, I am surprised the US hasn’t changed the spelling to ‘playrite’ … I mean it would be more logical and time-saving wouldn’t it …
Time-saving? To me, if you’re that worried about the microseconds needed to type a couple of keys, then I feel really sorry for you and can only wish you had a better quality of life.
Logical? Not really … because the fuller answer on English spelling is that its apparent vagaries are in fact logical in that our system is partially morphemic rather than phonetic, reflecting different roots whose pronunciation was different in Old English to Middle English but has changed in the intervening centuries. Changing spellings loses those links to the roots …
Mark

Blame it on the long-dead Noah Webster. :smiley:

Was it Noah Webster who changed “night” into “nite”?
:slight_smile:
Mark

Now, now… dear departed Noah can’t be blamed for lazyass ad writers. :laughing:

I do know, however, that ‘through’ has been shortened to ‘thru’ since at least the 18th century. (I’ve seen this in several British letters, usually with a line over the ‘u’ to show that it’s an abbreviation, but not always.)

So it’s not just modern folk who get lazy. :slight_smile:

No indeed … and I didn’t think he could. But it’s no longer just the ad writers who use “nite” and “tonite”, and other similar horrors …

And yes it’s true … but at least they put a line over it :slight_smile:
Mark

I see Amber’s bin dippin intuh th Glendronach agin.

Dave

Abbreviations in English are certainly nothing new. Try deciphering a 10th century Old English text and you’ll see what real abbreviations are all about!