THANK YOU KB!!

I have recently switched from Win to Mac (mini with the thunderbolt display), largely because of the more advanced state of Scrivener. I have to say that I have been very disappointed with many, perhaps most, of the mac apps. But not with Scrivener! My main issues are user interface related: grey on grey is not the easiest to read, nor are the 4-6 pt fonts (by actual measurement if not by name) standard in many applications (e.g. - iCal), especially when they don’t honor the zoom feature.

But Scrivener is a total standout. I can control colors, I can control fonts, I can control the amount of zoom. If I had to stare at ants crawling across my screen all day, I would pitch my $2K investment in the trash and go back to Windows. But thank god you have respected the writer’s need for a clean but very readable interface and you have granted me enough control that I can manage the readability of the UI myself in accord with the needs of my very old and well used eyes.

Here’s to you, Keith!

You might want to explore the options that are available in System Preferences.
See especially Universal Access and Displays.

druid - Thanks for the comment. However, the Universal Access zoom is very poorly implemented. It zooms the whole screen and not just the application window. Hence the menu bar disappears! Also, “displays” is not at all helpful. If one uses a lower (non-native) resolution, everything gets fuzzy. The only way to avoid this is to enable the hidden HiDPI modes which one can do via a free app from Avatron (Air Display). However, the best you can do then is to cut the effective screen size in half, in my case going from 2560x1440 to 1280x720, if you want to retain crisp fonts. I do this as needed, but it is also a poor solution.

The correct solution would be for Apple to get their sh@t together and either allow the user more control over the UI or implement resolution independent capability in the OS, but I’m not sure that’s in their plan despite quite a number of requests for it, especially from the big screen users where system fonts literally shrink to 2mm in height with so called 12 pt font, which is ludicrous. It’s like spending the entire day trying to read disclaimer inserts from medical products. Second best is for the SW developers to manage it as Keith does. But for those of you who have never worked with the Win operating system, you might want to mess around with it and see just how much control Win gives the user - basically ALL system fonts and colors are under your control. I personally think it provides a MUCH better user interface in this regard.

Thanks for your kind words, Doug, much appreciated.

I think Apple are improving the situation with Retina displays - because developers have to provided double-size graphics for everything for Retina displays, it means that you can double the size of everything on a Retina display and have everything look just as good as on a non-Retina display (although the resizing could do with a little tweaking from what I’ve seen so far, as the UI on a Retina display doesn’t look quite as good resized as it should).

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I also want to express my thanks and appreciation to you all. You have a fine product and obviously work hard to not only keep it up-to-date but make improvements and take advantage of new features and possibilities of the Mac OS.

Keep up the good work! We see it. We appreciate it.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Adding a quick thank you for al the same reasons. :slight_smile:

But one more big thank you: I think it’s awesome how on top of technology you are. You obviously knew (suspected?) that Apple would release Mountain Lion tomorrow and had your latest update ready to go right before it happened. I wish all software companies had the drive and passion you continue to exhibit every year.

Thanks, KB.

-Jason Denzel

Thanks Jason! (I just wish we could get our Mac App Store version on the store sooner as well, but we have no control over that…)
All the best,
Keith