That difficult-to-read small print

Hmmmmmmm. So the real question is, how many folks are still running 1.54? There aren’t supposed to be new ones. So you’ll probably run out of angry 1.54 users. Of course, there’s a chance an angry 1.54 user will rise only ten years from now. :smiley: (LOL. That just sounded like I was describing a vampire or a zombie. By the way, “Shaun Of The Dead” is the best film EVER!).

Well could you have the INSTALL UPDATE button take them to another user window instead of directly downloading the update (An ARE YOU SURE dialog box) . Then on the second window (Warning dialog box) You state WARNING: Blah blah this is the idiot message blah blah, then have the UPDATE button on that window along with a cancel button. If they click update (after being warned TWICE) and that was not their intention they can only blame themselves.

I wonder if you changed the button from “Install Update” to “Buy Update”, or something similar, if that would help.

Unfortunately the point is that the update system is a static library built into 1.54 and there is no way of changing the text of the button or of having the button do anything else other than overwrite the current version of Scrivener with one that is downloaded.
All the best,
Keith

could you have the upgrade button download a version that is identical to 1.54 except with the upgrade script replaced with a simple window that pops up once a month and says:

“this version of Scrivener (v1.5x) is no longer being updated. A substantial upgrade (v2.x) is available as a PAID upgrade on the L&L website .”

You could have the same info in the ‘about’ dialogue.

By which I mean completely get rid of the upgrade script. Have the dialogue box in the same style as the “this beta expires on 12 Dec” one on the Window Beta, either on every opening or a non iritating interval such as once a month.

Probably not, I think that RTF file that generates the bulletin is off the server, and thus tied to the update information.

Oh: gotcha. I think that would still be annoying. Consider that some people are keeping 1.x around for collaboration and whatnot.

isn’t it suppose to be a little bit annoying? “If you give us we remove your source of minor irritation and you get a lovely shiney new programme with lovely icons as well!”

THANK you! At least somebody likes them other than us! :slight_smile:

Kev!! He’s winding you up!! :smiling_imp: He’s a WinScriver. They’re all like that! [size=85]‘ang on, I,ll have to watch what I say here. I’m using the wife’s devil machine to post this. I could end up a WinScriver myself :cry: [/size] [size=50]I,d better have a word with Lee about doing an Idiots’/Dummies’ Guide to WinScriv Tutorial.[/size]

I really don’t want a piece of this action.

Although I have to say: What’s not to like? Clear, pretty, and obvious at a glance what their functions are.

Unless the suggestion is that I use Windows so I don’t know any better?

Yeah, watch out for that vic-k (and his cat). But don’t worry, if he gets too out of hand, Linda will come by and put him in his place. :slight_smile:

Pay it no heed, pf. You have not been aboard the good ship SS Scrivener long enough to be aware that vic-k and his several alter egos are members of the light-entertainment department, employed to amuse and occasionally provoke the passengers from time to time. Such provocation is not, repeat not, an instance of Mac zealotry; instead it is if anything an ironic poke at it.

Sit back and enjoy the cruise.

P.S. What is a pigfender? And why? EDIT: Ah, Nottingham…
P.P.S. Linda asked a question the other day. I was starting to believe that she too was a figment of someone’s imagination… :slight_smile:

Mr Kevin, let me point out, that I am not vic-k’s cat :imp: He, is my, human. And a tedious responsibility it’s becoming too. Constantly having to clear up his literary (I use the term, literary, in its misnomic sense), furballs, every time my backs turned, and he gets near the key board.

Mr rog,
His sense of humour is not to everybody’s taste. I doubt very much that it’s to anyone’s actually.
Do take care
Fluff
Mr Hugh,
Miss Linda is probably having a nap, or even a…catnap :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: dear me, sorry about that! :blush:
Fluff

I see! So I’ve accidentally wandered into a bizarre internet version of “The Truman Show”, where the forum members are actually all the scripted alter-egos of KB talking to himself endlessly?

That makes the “Icon” thread even more distrubing.

Damn, rumbled!

Yes, and no. Yes, we’re all fictitious, but no, KB isn’t talking to himself, but writing his long-awaited novel, in which we’re all characters. The cat just adds credibility. Scrivener is merely a trigger for the “Inciting Incident” (or, since this has turned into a multi-volume series, Incidents). Eat your heart out, Franzen!

So we should be worried about the fabric of the universe now that the novel characters have become self-aware in a Skynet from “Terminator 3” meets the Charles Dance character “The Last Action Hero” kind of a way?

Yup, it does threaten to rip the space-time continuum. But that’s simply the mid-point crisis in Act 2.

I’m rather happy with my characterisations of pigfender, Hugh and Fluff, I must say - but just wait to see what I have in store for them in the third act… Buhaha etc.