The 'as is' option in compile

Okay this has me ready to scream. The ‘as is’ option in compile works beautifully except for one instance. My pages that lists my other works and the page with all the copyright and isbn info are both centered. For some reason scrivener refuses to format ‘as is’ for the paperback formatting option. It keeps spacing it out too far and as a result, it’s not fitting on the single page! When I uncheck ‘as is’, it throws everything off to the left margin and I don’t like the way it looks. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do and it’s driving me nuts. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The “Paperback” formatting option sets up the page settings to use small pages (paperback size) and to have wider margins on the inside edge (so the left and right margins alternate in being the widest). This is because it is set up for sending off to CreateSpace for publishing. This means that the content of your pages will either be further to the right or left (depending on whether they fall on a recto or verso page) than if the page settings were set up to have the same left and right margins. The small width of the pages also means there is less space available, of course.

Thanks KB.

I understand that, but the problem I’m having is this:

I have a page that has the title name, paperback edition, publisher name, both isbns. In scrivener, it all fits fine on one page, but when I compile using the as is function for that particular page (wanting it to remain centered) it ends up taking the whole page, with the last isbn on the next page as an orphan. When I uncheck the as is box in compile, it fits everything on the one page, but throws all the text completely off to the left side of the page. It does this only with pages that have anything centered, such as the Acknowledgements page.

No matter how much I reduce font size, reduce spacing, etc etc, I will not follow through into compile. I don’t know what else to try.

In the Preferences, under “Editor”, what is “‘Printed Page Size’ Uses” set up to use? Ensure it is set to “Compile Settings” if you want the page view in the editor to reflect the page size that will be used by the current Compile settings.

Thank you again, KB. Unfortunately I still can’t get it to cooperate, so I’m giving up. I’ve spent hours with no luck, and after publishing three books with this software, I still can’t get it to do these pages right. I love this software, but compiling for print is nothing short of frustration for me.

I appreciate your help, though, and thank you.

Ramon

If you like, you can zip up and send the project to us at mac.support AT literatueandlatte DOT com and we can take a look at what is going on.
All the best,
Keith

Thanks. I don’t know if that would do anything. It has something to do with the text moving when I compile. It’s all good. I managed to finangle it so that it looks at least decent. Anything changes and I may take you up on that, though.

Thanks.

Ramon