the front matter folder compiles

On the Mac, the front matter folder (the folder itself) doesn’t compile even if Compile is checked. On Windows, it does compile, with the Chapter layout determined by structure. Not a huge deal, I can uncheck it on both, but it’s a difference you may want to fix.

If this is a Mac problem then it should be posted there and not in the Windows Beta forum.

It’s not a Mac problem. The two development teams — Windows and Mac — need to reach a consensus and make both platforms behave the same way.

I am afraid we could not reproduce this. Can you please provide more details or a small demo project with few documents showing the problem.

No, that’s correct, if you’re reporting a Mac bug you should use the Mac bug reporting board. It doesn’t really matter if the design (in the narrower interface/feature level sense) is meant to be unified, if something is only working on one platform, you need to bring it to the attention of the developer that can actually fix it, and that will notice it being posted. You will find that to be a fairly standard approach in software bug reporting.

That said, it’s unclear from your report where the problem really is. It may be the intended design is for front matter to not compile given your other settings—but it is on Windows for some reason. So I’m not so much criticising the placement here, but generally speaking, if you find a Mac bug, the Windows beta board is entirely inappropriate.

That aside, I can confirm what Tiho reports, there is no generalised failure on either platform here. This sample project should print one line of text from the front matter, and a second line from the main matter. When compiled from both platforms, the resulting .txt file is identical. This project was created and set up on Windows, I made not changes of substance on the Mac.
front_matter.scriv.zip (27.4 KB)

I don’t want the Front Matter folder to compile, and I doubt anyone does, so I don’t see it as a bug on the Mac.

I’ll leave it to you to decide which app doesn’t abide by your design intention, but it should behave the same way on both platforms.

As near as I can tell, Compile settings override individual document or folder settings.

I don’t know about the Mac (don’t have one), but as long as my compile settings do NOT have “Add Front Matter” checked, or the contents of Front Matter to add are set to “None”, compile does not include Front Matter.

Like this:

However, if I check that box and have it set to something other than “None”, Compile includes Front Matter.

Likethis:

I can override what parts of Front Matter are included, by unchecking the check boxes in the column over that line.

The default settings are to Add Front Matter if the compile type is Manuscript (either type) or Paperback (either type).

You can create a Manuscript or Paperback compile type that does NOT include front matter, of course, and you may wish to.

As noted, I was responding to what seemed like a sentiment that one should post anywhere if it is design related since the design should be unified. I was not referring to this post you made.

The problem is that we are all having a hard time getting this to happen as you describe—or in other words: there is no difference between platforms here. Both should be selecting and exporting only the contents of the elected Front Matter folder for inclusion at the top of the compile group. The container used for them does not appear anywhere, neither in the UI nor in the output.

So, if you have a case where that does indeed happen, we need more information to spell out exactly what it takes to see that, beyond the simple examples I tried.

You could do things that way, but I think it is better to select the folder for each type itself rather than the entire container for all front matter options. I.e. select “Manuscript Format” itself, so that only “Title Page” is added to the draft. That’s the intended design anyway.

What the OP seems to be suggesting is that, in your case with the selection you made, there would be a “Front Matter” folder included in the list itself, with “Manuscript Format” and “Paperback” folders and so on nested beneath it. That’s not right—and as far as I can recall there are no settings that would make that happen, and as far as I have seen, no version of Scrivener works that way.