The Hollow Earth

Did anyone ever read this book By R. Bernard?

Here’s a brief explanation of the book, for the uninitiated:

“According to Mr. Bernard our world is hollow, with the crust of the earth being 800 miles thick. There exists two openings at the North and South Pole, each hole having a circumference of 1400 miles wide. At the center of the earth is not a molten core but an inner sun which is six hundred miles wide and is 2900 miles from the Inner Surfaces. The diameter of the lip at the opening at the poles is 1200 miles long, thus a person can not see the other side of the opening.”

The rest of the text is here:

http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/holearth.html

Sounds really kooky, I know. But it’s an interesting book, if you can find a copy of it. I wish I still had mine. I must have read it when I like 12 or 13.

The inventor of the “hollow earth” theory was John Cleves Symmes, Jr. who presented the idea in a series of lectures, beginning in 1818. A book, by “Captain Adam Seaborn,” Symzonia: Voyage of Discovery (1820) stirred wide popular interest. Seaborn may have been Symmes; the account is clearly fictional and today is often called a hoax. Edgar Allan Poe adopted elements of Symzonia in his fantasy novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym (1838).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cleves_Symmes,_Jr.

google.com/search?client=saf … 8&oe=UTF-8

gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF7/718.html