The Problem of Chinese Compiling

When I compiled the draft to Word from Scrivner, and then checked if this draft is as same as the original Word draft, I found that there was a subtle change between them, even though both document settings of Word format look the same, such as the same line spacing setting of both drafts but visually looking different. The draft compiled from Scrivner to Word format seems squeezing together between lines; however, I checked its line spacing, which is as same as the original Word draft—1.0. Both layouts look totally different since the line spacing of script compiled from Scrivner is narrower than the original word document.

I have been bothered by this problem for a month. I’m trying to use different built-in font of Scrivner to solve this problem, but I still get the same result. Also, I uncheck the “Built-in Presets” of “Compile”, and try to change all the “Modify” , but the problem still remains.Is that problem caused by different version of language? The version of Scrivner I used is Chinese. :blush:

I am not an expert here, and am fundamentally a Mac-user, but I have recently collaborated on a translation project with a Chinese colleague. Owing to technical problems involved in sharing a project containing Chinese across the two platforms, while she was still working on the first-pass translation, I ran the Windows version of Scrivener under Wine. When she had reached the end of the text, we changed our modus operandi and I continued my work on the Mac version, compiling at the end of each editing session. She opened the compiled version in Word on her PC and we used comments and change-tracking to continue the collaboration.

When we moved to this new method, I sent her 3 compiles, to .docx, to .doc and to .rtf (Scrivener’s native format but easily readable by Word). The results were:

  1. .docx: text came out perfectly fine, but the (many) footnotes did not appear;
  2. .doc: footnotes preserved, but formatting, line spacing, font size, etc. totally messed up and ugly;
  3. .rtf: everything absolutely as should be.

I strongly recommend you to compile to .rtf and open that in Word. I believe the compile process first produces an .rtf anyway, which is then converted by third party software, and it is at that point that any problems are created. As you are using Word anyway, you don’t need the help of those converters.

By the way, it must be said, our translation was Chinese-English, so the amount of Chinese in the compiled text was fairly small and limited to the footnotes. In the .doc version, this often came out with each character overprinting the preceding one.

Hope that helps
Mark

Thanks for your help.I solved the problem by silly way-Try all the line spacing in Scrivener. The answer is – “1.8x”.It’s can keep correct line spacing when compiling Chinese chracters to .doc file.

1.8x match the 1.0x line spacing after compilig, and still show 1.0x in Word?It’s weird,but I fix the line spacing and font size issues.Maybe you can try this.

Sorry to be late replying. Obviously, if you’re happy with your solution, that’s fine, but I would point out that you are still involving third party software to process the .RTF output from Scrivener’s compiler to do something that Word would do much better, so:

  1. the potential for other problemss to occur is much higher, particularly when using a 2-byte language like Chinese. The conversion software Scrivener (and others like Nisus Writer Pro) uses is pretty good, but it is not native Microsoft, but rather retro-engineered, and it has its problems … like dropping footnotes in the .DOCX conversion.

  2. the time taken to produce the .DOC file is longer, as Scrivener produces .rtf, invokes the converter, which reads the .rtf and translates it into binary .doc.

So, by exporting to .RTF from Scrivener, you give the latter process directly to Word to do, and it will do it much better and more reliably.

Mark

Thanks for your reply ,but I try that before I post the article.When open RTF text with MS Word ,it doesn’t work… Thanks again anyway.In my opinion ,you are the expert about this issue. :smiley:

I’ve been working with RTF’s compiled from Scrivener and literally thousands edited using Nisus Writer Pro — based on the same text engine and also using RTF as its native format — and opened by colleagues using Word for several years now with no problems whatsoever, so I don’t know what can be going wrong at your end.

Anyway, you have a solution that you are happy with, it seems, and that’s what really matters.

Mark