The State of name lists for the name generator?

I was searching through the forums for French names, and found reference back in October to a list of family names and an offer by Keith to add them to the name generator in the official installer. But I don’t see them in my list, so I assume that bug hunts took priority (understandably).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a queue of name lists ready for use in the name generator, and if there were any obvious gaps that volunteers could work to fill?

I don’t remember the French names - where were they? There’s not really a queue - I just provided a bunch of names and then leave it to users to provide more. If anyone creates lists sorted by popularity that are accurate and well-formatted, I’ll be happy to add them, though. (It took weeks to get all those name lists together, and it’s drudgery!)

All the best,
Keith

This is the thread that I was referring to: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/10-000-french-family-names-for-the-name-generator/9705/2

I totally understand the drudgery, but I also saw some initial enthusiasm for providing name lists, so I was just curious about the gaps that I thought were being filled. If there’s no queue of files that you’re planning to add in to the next release, then anyone who wants to step up can count on not doubling up on another person’s efforts.

Purely out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on decade-specific name lists? I’m assuming that the names that are currently in the list come from the most popular baby names of recent years… so i was thinking it might be helpful if there were a list of names that were common around 1900 for those who write during that period for instance.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread but as you’re talking about this…

I’ve just started using the name generator for the first time in the new Windows version of Scrivener and have some feature idea/requests. For example, would it be possible to have a poshness/class slider? British working class families are unlikely to name their kids Tarquin or Jemima and the next Royal sprog is unlikely to be called Brooklyn or Kylie.

For poshness etc I think separate name lists would be the better bet. The trouble is that you don’t get that sort of information from lists available online - that would take a lot more research (and judgement!).

Robert - I have no strong feelings either way about decade-specific lists. I think it would be a good option if people wanted to provide them.